Register now to get rid of these ads!

52 f2 brake hardware

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cabriolethiboy, Sep 29, 2005.

1. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

Where can I buy 52 Ford F2 brake hardware? I've got new shoes and F100 wheel cylinders coming, but I can't find anyone that has the hardware. I've tried NAPA, Advance, Car Quest, Autozone, and lots of internet sites. I could match them up if I had the old parts but all I have is bare backing plates. I have a friend that has a set Lincoln brakes, if I have to I can take them apart and match them up. Anyone know if they are the same? Or how about 12" Buick hardware?

2. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Should be able to pick the stuff up at Mac's or other Early Ford/F1/F100 places...

3. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

You can buy the F1 or F100 stuff but not the F2 parts, unless there is something I am overlooking.

4. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

You don't want F2 hardware. The wheel cylinder only works on one shoe and relies on the "self energizing" part to work the other shoe.

You want later model truck/van rear drum hardware that works on both shoes. I don't have the NAPA numbers, but Bob Wilson might tell you what you need.

5. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Not as much stuff as I thought - don't know where I got mine - think I just used later stuff...

Here's what's listed in the catalog specifically for your application:

Star Wheel, L or R, 51-56 F2, F250 (4 req'd) - B5A-2041-A
    Brake Shoe Hold Down Kit 51-55, F2, F250 (2 req'd) - C3SZ-2068-KT
    Brake Shoe Return Springs 51-60, F2, F250 (4 req'd) - C1TZ-2035

6. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

Ernie, the only reason THOSE parts are available is because they were used on trucks for the next 35 years.

7. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

I got everything for my 54 F350 from NAPA. Sometimes they have a cutoff year listed even tho the same part was used earlier.

8. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Understood. But those are the parts he was looking for, no? He's using F100 wheel cylinders already - the springs, holddowns, & adjusters are the same (one adjuster will be backwards if converting to self-adjusting, but...).

9. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

Sounds like exactly what I need but what catalog are you talking about? NAPA?

10. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Those are Ford part numbers.

11. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Mac's Antique Auto Parts & enjejo is correct, they are Ford part numbers - most of the early Ford vendors use original part numbers. Don't know if NAPA can cross them or not...

12. Inliner

Inliner

The wheel cylinder box's that came with my Wilson's, which are based on the Lincolns are, "AutoStar WC13278".
    Below is says replaces: Bendix 33278, Wagner 37782, Midas 1083, EIS 39958 and Auto Spec 88009. Also says these are manufactured by CONI-SEAL INC.

Hopefully this will give you a place to start. If you find a NAPA No., please post it.

13. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

NAPA has a few brands, but if you plug the Wagner number into the "Search non-NAPA part numbers" blank on the NAPA website it returns two NAPA part numbers.

Left Side = UPB36076
    Right Side = UPB36077

14. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

Thanks, My shoes and wheel cylinders came in, so when I pick them up I will see what we can do with these numbers.

15. hillbillyhell

hillbillyhell

So didja figure anything out NAPA wise on the hardware? I'm sure some later model stuff will fit the bill, but I haven't gone looking yet....I'm running F2 backing plates with Buick drums/F100 hubs. My backing plates were of course, bare, so I need to source some adjusters, springs and whatnot.

16. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

Never did find a source for the correct parts. Maybe I am not looking in the right places, but I am out of ideas. I borrowed a buddy's Lincoln parts and matched them up with some parts that I had and I probably have enough to put together one car. The parts are all new, but they were just laying in a parts drawer, un-packaged with no part numbers. There are not very many parts there. I looked at friends 57 Cad 12" brakes over the weekend and they looked like they would work. I would feel more comfortable if I could find the correct parts. Let me know if you find anything.

17. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

6 year-old thread! DD

18. the flatlander

the flatlander

I use mid 70's whl cyl's, springs, original (33) shoes,(with F2 back. plates) BUT adjuster springs are not avail ! If anyone finds a source, please let me know (too). thx the adjuster spring is 5" long overall. spring is 1.75" w/ 16 coils. Hooks are 1.5" long & turned opposite each other. good luck. Or if you have any spares, i'd buy a couple. Alan

19. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER