Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 51 Willys Jeep CJ3A Gasser/Altered Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FlynBrian, Aug 31, 2009.

1. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Hello,
    Awesome site, thought i'd share my 51 Willys Jeep CJ3A i'm building a Gasser/Altered creation out of. My buddies & I drug it out of the dirt, behind a guys house, had to tear his fence down, to get it out, and on the trailer, can't complain, I sold what I'm not using, as it sits I have $60bones in it, needs lots of elbow grease. Good thing is, the metal there, is thick and mostly flat, so it won't be hard to patch up, since I was a USMC helicopter structural mechanic, most patching will be done buttonhead solid rivets, helicopter style lap patches. A bunch of the parts i'm going to use, I scavenged for years, and some have alot of meaning or kool storys behind them. For instance the straight axle/transverse setup came out of a friend of the familys junkyard in 1983, I was 17y/o, it was under the front of a Henry J gasser from the early 60's had Phillips 66 logo painted on the doors, out of Bristol Tenn, had a 401cu. nailhead in it, rearend was missing, drug it home from the junkyard with big plans, well year later i'm off to the Marines, well while I was in, my Pops decides to move the Henry J from under a tree, puts a strap thru the roof to pick the car up with a frontend loader, well it fell into several pieces, the car had been lightened so much, alot of the body's integrity was gone, well Pops though I was gonna flip, but I didn't, managed to salvage the frontend you see going under the 51 Jeep, saved the one piece glass nose off the Henry J donated to a buddys future project. Plan on updating the thread as the build progresses, got some kool period stuff going on the Jeep, already named it, The Bone Shaker!
    Look forward to hanging out here and talking hotrods & gaining knowledge and learning.
    Brian

Got a few pics of mocking it up:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

This is what I did saturday when I had a little spare time, did a 5 & 1/2 inch chop on the windshield frame, glass went from 13 & 1/2 to 8 & 1/2 inches, glass will be green glass cut by a buddy, also pushed the axle out from 87inches to 92 inches I Like:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  3. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

lookin like a great project!

4. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Thanks! AxleArmada66,
    Got to get my axles shortened and replined for the 69 Bronco 9inch rear going under the back, scored the housing and "N" case chunck and locker out of my friends junkyard. Hoping to score some Mickey T 10.5 x 28 slicks in Oct, at the streetcar shootout in orlando, some of the racers are sponsered by Mickey Thompson they sell almost new slicks with maybe 6 to 10 runs on them for $125 to $160 a pair, got a pair of 15x10 Ansen slots to put em on, the rims in the pics are just for mock up.

5. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Cheap parts=awesome. i like the direction your build is going, if you painted it a coarse green metalflake in the end, that would be wicked. remember to keep it period correct!

6. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

I need more....

Jeff

7. draggin breath

draggin breath

Love it;but NO gasser,didn't meet wheelbase requirements. AWESOME altered. Chop the W/S frame below the glass and give it more of a badass look. drop the tops of the seats to floor level and you are there.

8. sweet !!! I have a 50 wagon that I wanna do this to !!!

9. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

Any spring time updates?

Jeff