Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '51 Mild Custom shoebox coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Tony Ray, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

nice!

2. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

For the guys that swapped a small block ford in your shoebox, what kit did you use? i been looking at Shoebox centrals and the one from Jamco. Jamco looks alittle more beefy, so was leaning towards that, but figured id ask.

3. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

07735D09-7DDF-4BF9-B4F3-5ED8F5BDE764.jpeg 91F1B86C-6116-405E-9730-93A1979CD556.jpeg So apparently one of the bags of parts in the glove box was of NOS pivots for 49-51 fords, and you can’t get them anywhere, even reproductions.I have the 2 for the front wing windows and 2 for the rear side club coupe flipper windows. When I get home I’m going to inspect the windows to see if I really need them and call the previous owner to see if they were for this car or his other coupe ge used to have that he gave me parts from. If they are off he other one, and mine are still good, which I’m pretty sure they still are.. then looks like I’ll be sending them to Chris from Shoebox Central , so they can reproduce these in the very near future. Kinda stoked that I may be able to help them out to get something out for shoebox owners..

4. catdad49

catdad49

This is the second "found" Club Coupe that I've seen this morning! They have been a favorite since my AMT days. They don't need much to make a neat little driver, thinking nosed, decked, lowering with a little forward rake, twice pipes and the T Bird interior would pretty much do it. I know it will be Sweet!

Pipes likes this.
  5. PCJ

PCJ
    from Austin, Tx

I bought the Jamco because I like that they use a stock ford mount instead of just a biscuit. I haven't installed it yet though to give any feedback

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Pipes likes this.
  6. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

That’s kinda why I was leaning towards Jamco, that and the gusset on the mount makes it seem a bit beefier

7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They didn't get the side trim exactly right, but the did make Crestliners in 1951 (at least until the Victorias were introduced). Considering when the artwork for the brochure had to be done, I'd forgive thrm that little gaffe'.
    51 Crestliner.jpg

8. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

8B208177-8F32-449F-819B-80DC087F75E0.jpeg 2EB2E620-A7A3-476E-95DD-6B2DA03EBD5A.jpeg Went out junkyarding today.. planned to get thunderbird seats, found a half decent 65 interior.front and back kept thinking about it and something made me look around a bit more. Then these popped up and before I knew it , my mouth bought it before my brain registered.. who knows, maybe I’ll get the t bird stuff too, but I think these are just cool..

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    brEad, RockinRivi, Sum54ford and 2 others like this.
  9. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

mocked u the new buckets, i think they are originally out of a 64 Buick Rivera or something simular.. looked at pictures of 61 buick skylarks and doesnt seem close at all..
    but at least i have an idea how it looks..
    IMG_1899.jpg
    IMG_1900.jpg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    lucky, brEad, RockinRivi and 2 others like this.
  10. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Great car, love what you're doing with her! Best to you man!

Pipes likes this.
  11. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

thanks!

12. Nice find.
    Have fun with it.

Pipes likes this.
  13. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good thing the front seat was gone. I remember dumping the clutch on my shoebox and finding myself laying flat down when the seat back broke. Hard to believe you could get that much bite with a stock 239 and 6.70 x 15 tires.

Pipes likes this.
  14. dwollam

dwollam

AMEN!
    Dump the chevy ASAP and put a Ford in it! I have a '51 Coupe too. One of my favorites. It's got a flathead in it.

Dave

RockinRivi and Pipes like this.
  15. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

194889C7-F444-41F0-89F2-3942151AD7CB.jpeg So I took a ride out to see Jim, the previous owner of the 51. Spent a good 2 hours talking to him, about cars and enduro racing( he raced and enduro bike way back when) lots of cool things about that guy. He was a hot Rodder and a car guy his whole life. He called me because he found some rocker panels he wanted to give me. He also showed me a picture of one of his first shoeboxes. I had to snap a picture of it! Jim was a hell of a hot Rodder and a car guy still to this day. Though now he is relaxing by just riding his 3 Harley’s .
    Besides the rockers he gave me an alum bell housing and clutch fork for a chevy, and another trans mount, as well As the whole window regulators, cranks and all from another 51, that he found sitting around. He wants to know when I’ll have HIS 51 on the road because he wants a ride. He figured he’d come down to see me and the car when it was on the road. I told him I’ll drive it to him and let him drive it himself. He also told me the 283 in it was out of a brand new 67 full-size Chevy that got wrecked in 1967 with only 6000 miles on it..the heads he got were 72 and had them done up, ecause he said the original didn’t have holes for the alternator. We had a good laugh how everyone we know said put a Chevy in it, but we were both ford guys. I told him I think l run the Chevy until I get the rear end sorted out and find a way to get alittle more meat in the back to handle the hp. Also showed him the seats I got out of the Buick, and he started laughing because he had planned to put the same seats in it. Apparently he got seats out of a full size Buick that he put to the side to stick in it, after tripping over them for years and them getting beat up he ended up selling them so someone just to get them out of the way. Thought that was really cool.
    Anyway next step is to put a trans in it and fix the rockersNd get seat mounted then wiring everything for 12 volts. Any advice on the 12 volt thing??

16. In going 12 volt your going to get lots of input no doubt. For me the 51 dash is so unique Not Changing it was high on my list. So I did exactly that. Like you I also run a S,B,C. but all my gauges are stock 51 Ford. I installed electric wipers, and my Stock radio operates an up dated sound system. The stock headlight switch works fine with Halogen headlight bulbs, it just takes a relay. You don't want to do that direct through just the stock switch. You can do it too without braking the bank if interested. If this is your direction I'd be glad to fill in the blanks. Does it get any better than this?
    51 Vicky 002.jpg

djweaz, brEad, RockinRivi and 2 others like this.
  17. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

That what I call beautiful! I’m not really sure what’s possible and what’s not. I want to upgrade the system, specially the lights. I know on my mustang how dim the lights are, specially the taillights. In this day and age I want them nice and bright so they can be seen, even if I need to do the LEDs in the back.The gauges is the biggest thing I was worried about , because I really like to keep them. I was thinking it would be nice to eventually put a new wiring kit with newer style fuse panel in the car, maybe the electric wipers and even one of those ac/heater boxes under the dash one day. I plan to drive the car a lot. I never was one for only takingbit out on nice days, it will be a driver, including back and forth to work.

RockinRivi likes this.
  18. My 51 has an E-Z Wire 12 fuse panel and complete kit. The old cloth wrap stuff was just used up in mine. Probably is in yours also. To use all your stock gauges just install the Stock 51 oil and temp senders in what ever motor ends up under the hood. Now the sender and gauge are still speaking the same language, no muss no fuss. Runtz is what I used and have on many many projects. It takes 3 to do the job being the Amp meter isn't Volt sencetive, it just reads Amp movement. I went with Specialty Power universal wiper unit with Delay. That was a little involved but well worth the time spent. That big control switch is mounted in the stock 51 place and if I remember right I had to enlarge the hole in the 51 knob a little, No Big Deal. My new sound system (outdated now) is all in the trunk but the on/off switch in the 51 radio controls the incoming Batt power to that system (not the memory) . Even the radio light comes on with the dash lights now instead of just when the Radio is turned on. To change stations or dic playing I ran a fiber optic cable to the rear. The Headlight switch is wired up per 51 layout. The relays (2 of them) are in the 10 gauge wires from the dimmer switch forward. Something else I've been doing for several years is, One of our complaints is seeing the Fuse panel way up there behind the Dash. So just don't mount it solid and leave a loop of the new wire, now you can drop the fuse panel down in your hand and actually see the dang thing. Lot's of ways to do that part.
    The Wizzard

RockinRivi, 54monarch and Pipes like this.
  19. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Thanks! That gives me a great direction to go in! I hadn’t even though of the radio, and I’ve seen those 12 fuse kit and was debating getting one. Kick myself in the ass for giving away the kit I had for the 59 f100, when I sold the truck. My buddy just gave me a th350 trans from his Elcamino to use in the 50. So all I need is a drive shaft and a new battery and I should have thane car moving on it’s own. Going to put the trans in the same time we fix the rocker panels , fix the small spots in the drivers floor, and make the seat mounts. Everything seems to be coming along. It’s not my ford motor and trans yet but that will be next year..

RockinRivi, 55Deso and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  20. Direction is Grate! I usually have one but find it often changes several times before I get to any kind of destination. Then I'm not sure I'm where I intended to be. Good luck with yours.
    The Wizzard

RockinRivi and Pipes like this.
  21. 55Deso

55Deso
    from Wyoming

Sweet find, I really dig the direction you're taking this. That color is great as well!

Pipes likes this.
  22. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

So small up date, was a very Merry Christmas to me.. I got Aerostar coils for front, and LED 49-50 taillights , then ordered 3 inch lowering springs, shackles, bolts, 3 inch lowering block kit, a 12 volt conversion guide, and one or two other things from Shoebox Central. Think my next order will be to Summit racing to order the 9 inch housing they sell. Anyone know if the 55 inch housing will fit?? After that, I’m getting my front and rear sway bars and try to figure out what else I want to upgrade in the front besides disk brakes.. Any suggestions?

Plemonator and RockinRivi like this.
  23. Great thread, these ones keep me motivated !

24. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

LED taillights??? Say it ain't so!

25. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Man, I live in Jersey.. if these idiots don’t see something bright they will hit it. I had to change the model A light on my chopper to an LED Lense because ass nearly wiped me out, said my light was too dim he thought it was just a reflection from another car!?? Wtf

RockinRivi likes this.
  26. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Yeah, I'll give you a pass for drivin' it! We need to get someone on developing a new lighting technology to match the intensity of an LED unit but with the appearance of a single bright incandescent bulb.

RockinRivi likes this.
  27. I’ve had my 51 for more than twenty years and have made tons of alterations slowly over time. Initially, I had an early 9”(no dimple) in my 51 club coupe. It fit, but it was too wide to easily change tires after the car was lowered (Jamco flatter springs). I eventually got a custom made Curie nine inch rear and wheels offset to fit right. I was running radial Coker wide white’s, so i needed wider than original rims. Soon I will be going to 6.70 15”. With those and narrow rims, I expect I will have a lot of clearance, making the narrowed rear less necessary.

But the point is, you need to know, or decide on tires and rims in order to really know what rear end width will fit.

28. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

I not looking to go crazy here. Im just want to replace my stock rear with a 9 inch. Use the center section I already have for it. I dont have Currie type cash now. As for wheel size, Im just looking for something that will work with the lowering springs and blocks, and not have issues rubbing tires. Thinking just going with a factory looking steel wheel. Id like to run the widest tire possible, but i know that space is limited in the wheel well, and im not back halfing the car. I found a place that i can get the housing and axles for 680 dollars, just got to send them the measurements, or i can order the set up they have for a 66 mustang for the same price. Think ill just wait and get the rear to match the stock size. Everytime i mention a 9 inch i get a lecture how a maverick rear bolts right up, or a rangerrear.. but neverany measurements.. :confused:

RockinRivi likes this.
  29. Okay, Mustang and Maveric for the most part are 8". Like you I thought I needed a 9" and didn't want to go the Big $$$ route so I kept hitting Craigslist till I found a Granada being parted out. Some of them came with the 9" and if I remember it correctly it's 58" wheel flange to wheel flange, in other words over all width. That's what's in my Green 51 right now. I did cut off the spring pads being they were for a wider spring and the Pinion angle was off as it was. The up side is the Housing had steeped axle tubes and was the same o.d. as my stock 51 housing. I cut off the 51 pads and re used them along with installing the 51 E-Brake cables into the Granada backing plates and directly connected them to the arm on the rear brake shoe. It can't get any easier than that. I think I payed $100.oo for the complete unit including brake drums and a good rubber connecting hose. That was 15 plus years ago so today I would think the only hard part of using this unit is finding one.
    The Wizzard

RockinRivi likes this.
  30. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Wizard, you been super helpful, thanks! Your advice is why I went with the springs instead of the 4 link. As far as getting that rear out of a Granada like we talked about... my god 25 years ago I saw them everywhere, now you asked around for one and it’s like what a Granada, or they laugh and say oh we crushed them all. There’s one place that the guy has a bunch of 9 inch rears that says all different sizes that I’m hoping to check out Saturday, otherwise I’m giving up and Just going to order the housing and axles. Summit would have been cheaper but they have the 55 inch flange to flange then other set sizes that won’t work. Hoping i get what I need on Sat then I can get the front brake conversion next.
    You’re all going to have to excuse me if I repeat or seem disorganized. Works been crazy and I’m averaging 40-45 hours of overtime per week so I’m a bit loopy. Only good part is I’m dedicating some of the overtime to buying all the parts I can now so I can put them in as soon as my car thaws out!

RockinRivi likes this.