Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 Mercury Rear Seat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimmyv, May 17, 2008.

1. jimmyv

jimmyv

Anyone know if any rear seats out of 80's/90's cars will work in a 51 Merc? I need one but they only stuff around here in junk yards is late 80's and newer.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The front seat out of a 65 Cad Deville fits like it was meant to be there. I don't know about the back seat.

I think the problem you are going to run into is that most later rear seats have a very low profile cushion and the original Merc cushion is fairly thick or tall. you are going to have to find a bottom cushion that is pretty thick or build up the platform under it.
    I'd look for one that was the right width and had the right height seat back and go from there. You will probably have to build your own arm rests to fit.

3. zapp69

zapp69

Somone was giving 1 away in the Classifieds a while ago, cant seem to find it now though, I look again later

4. Sorry man, I already threw THEM away. Couldnt get anyone to take them and needed the space. Try using a mid 60's Tbird rear seat. ETHER

5. Any reccomendations for bench seats, split bench, or buckets for a '51 Merc? My rear seat is fine, the fronts are currently import bucket seats.

6. 5150merc

5150merc
    from oregon

just watching since i have no interior.

7. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I have 80 Malibu front bench & rear seat in my "49" sled but the car is sitting on a 80 Malbiu frame, so the seats were free.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  8. DieGrindersPres

DieGrindersPres

man if the rear seat in my 51 merc could talk.

9. Mopar Mama

Mopar Mama
    from Boise, ID

Hot.

10. Squablow

Squablow

Personally, for your car, I think you need a 1950's era bench seat. Doesn't have to be an original '51 Mercury seat, but if you're building to a period (1955 you had mentioned) they would be running a factory style bench. I'm sure a Chevy or Ford bench seat would work as long as the width is close. Of course it'll have to be from a 2 door so the backs will lean forward for back seat entrance.

If you can find one, try to get a front seat out of a bathtub Nash. They hinge backwards so you can fold it down and sleep on it like a bed, way cool.

11. Yes it should be a bench seat for the reason you mentioned.

My car has GM floorpans so I could look around at G-Body bench seats, good idea.

12. Jeff J

Jeff J

I used a rear seat out of a 74 olds delta 88 four door and it had the center fold down arm rest . Had to make mounting brackets Also used the front 6 way power seat also worked great! They do fold in the middle just had to take of the bracket and it folded and later went to a 2 door and took the latch assb off so it would lock in place !

13. Thanks that's a great idea.

14. Pins&Needles

Pins&Needles
    from Santa Cruz

You can also buy seat springs which look like glorified box spring springs from a bed.... in fact you could probably use those! Get a piece of plywood and make a bottom that fits the seat area, then, get a box spring or two and take out the springs. Then start by putting the springs on the plywood, lay them out, make a bent steel top brace (make sure it tappers back, and then secure the springs to the plywood by drilling small holes through and tying them down with bailing wire.
    There you have it the shortest and worst written tech month tech article ever!