Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 mercury flush fender skirts help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john51mer, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Fellow Hambers I have been looking through all the posting and see all the different ways to flush mount fender skirts on a mercury. I also have seen some threads talking about a video of "how too" for this. I am wanting to flush mount my skirts and see alot of different ways. I like the one that maintains the orginal wheel opening, and I also like the on that recess the wheel opening. The reason I am asking for help is I would like to be able to cruise with or without the skirts and do not want a big void there when they are removed. If I could get pictures and some good advise on the skirt issue it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Oh yea I am alos needing some advice on how to attach these skirts. I seen one that had pins for attachment points and they look real sturdy. So any advice and help is welcome. thanks again

2. Ltorch

Ltorch

here are some pictures prob the ones you saw ..so i dont no what else your looking for it isnt hard to do.but hope this helps you a little bit more.

Attached Files:

3. yes I seen these and that is the idea I am looking at. I really like those skirts and that is also the attachments I was talking about. I thought I read that on his posting that there is a video out that shows details of this, but I can not seem to find one. Thank you

4. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

John, check with ShoeBox1950. King Kustoms flush mounts fender skirts. Search the HAMB for his userid. He had a thread on flush mounting as I recall.

5. thank man I will send him a PM. I have looked at his thread with king kustoms and they are some killer skirts. I like the way he did those and I thought I read that he seen a vidoe of it. So I was just wondering if anybody had more info on that video. thanks again. I think Jim has some ideas on the skirts too. thinking about making the flare run down the lower quarter so it flows all together too.

6. Hey John i do not know of that video but if any one would know will be Robbie. When i flush mount skirts i add an inner back lip so you will never see any light peaking through the gaps. Since you want to run without skirts some times you could add the inner lip to the skirt and not the body to get the same results

Attached Files:

7. Thanks Rick Yea I like the inner lip concept too. When I get home next week I am going to see how much bigger the skirts are to the wheel opening and do a little tinkering with them.

8. Hey john first thing i do is to find out what it realy takes to remove and install the tire wheel combo you will be using. That will set the min diminsion you can make the skirt opening. If your mercs rear air suspension has enought rear wheel travel like i make mine you can make a little thinner / sleeker looking skirt.

Also if you use the spring pin style mounts donot just put them through a hole in sheet metal as the pin and the hole will wear fairly fast. I use a pice of steel tubing mounted to the body to index the pins into

Attached Files:

9. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Rick: Nice looking flush mounted skirts combined with value-added design features based on overcoming wear items.