Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 51 Merc -- Body OFF -- Custom Chassis

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by enfieldjoe, Aug 13, 2011.

1. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Been working on this Merc for some time. Chop is complete, custom chassis by SlddnMatt is complete. Now it is time for the body to come off the stock chassis, prep the underside of the body, and install on the custom chassis.

Yesterday, I took the plunge. Removed the hood and front clip, doors, and trunk lid. Removed all the body bolts, connected the body lift, and OFF came the body. In the process of securing the body to the rotisserie.

Attached Files:

2. Looking good.
    Got a side profile shot of the chop?

3. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Looks like a great project. Good luck to ya.

4. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Any chance you can take a few pictures of the frame where the master cylinder is attached, along with the pedals, and trans crossmember? I could use some better pictures for reassembly and you have just what I need.

5. Thought you said you were afraid to come here? LOL

Looking forward to seeing what's in store.

I have been working on rust repair of a 50 Merc and as soon as it's ready I'm doing some chassis work to it also. Should be a reasonably traditional build also.

6. Now what you need to do is add 10'' to the middle and widen it! That's the latest trend,hahaha!
    Looking forward to seeing it on matts frame. Should sit real nice...

7. 1950-mercury

1950-mercury

Looking good!!! Keep us updated.

8. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Spent today securing the body to the rotisserie. Lots of work, but worth the effort because it will make media blasting the firewall and underside of the body very easy.

Also gave me a chance to really inspect the floors. Noticed that the driver's side rear floor and passenger side under the rear seat area need some rust repair.

Attached Files:

9. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Sure, no problem. PM me with your email.

10. Great Job so far!

Attached Files:

11. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Spent several hours this morning scrapping the factory undercoating from the underside of the Merc in preparation for media blasting this week. Plan is to have it ready for the blaster on Friday.

This is the first car that I have used a rotisserie, it sure does make life simpler.

Attached Files:

12. Very kool!!!

It looks like you have a very nice place to get the job done in, I'm sure that helps quite a bit for keeping track of parts and such!:cool:

13. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Looks like it's in nice condition. I'm envious of your rotisserie! I need to juggle a lift and forklift to get under mine, and I should consider myself lucky I have that.

14. Try laying on your back- even with stands at top notch! Good times ain't it? Things are looking good on your end! keep up the good work!

15. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

16. Must be nice!
    Makes the job so much easier with the right tools and garage!
    Enjoy it.

Attached Files:

17. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Busy day today. Media blasted the firewall and underside of the body. What looked like alittle floor repair now is more obvious driver side rear floor and underseat floor repair. No surprises now...everything is easy to inspect.

Sheet metal repair, self-etch prime, and then paint. Body is getting closer to being installed on the custom chassis.

Attached Files:

18. WDO40

WDO40

Looking good

19. savannahDan

savannahDan

looks good, I'm at about the same point in my build. Just got my frame painted, now need to do floors and trunk before I can sit it back on the frame. Did you take it somewhere for the blasting, or do it yourself? sandblasting in the heat/humidity is rough.

20. that's a good looking merc. Nice work. Lets see that custom "shashiss"..

21. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Savannah Powder Coating actually did the media blasting for me. They are conveniently located in the next building. Just had to roll the rotisserie a couple of hundred feet.

22. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Here are some pix of the custom chassis that will be used in this build. Engine is a SBF 347 ci stroker with an AOD trans.

Attached Files:

23. Hey Joe.
    Have you got any shots of the attachment points of the rottiserie?
    Especially the rear

24. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Sure, no prob. PM me your email and I will send your some pix.

25. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Installed the Merc body on the custom chassis today for the first fitment check. Had to modify the rear floor area to clear the chassis suspension mods.

Attached Files:

26. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Here are some pix of the body finally sitting on the chassis. Looking long and low! I won't have any problem "laying frame" with this Merc. In these pix, the suspension is at normal ride height.

Attached Files:

27. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh baby, that sucker is down there. She is gonna sit real real nice when you are done.

What are you gonna do about paint...black??? Also, I see she has 51 taillights, I thought you were gonna do something else, or are they stayin?? And, what grille??

Nice work, -Abone.

28. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Yeah, Chris frenched in the 51 Merc rear tail lights. They will stay. I was thinking about using a 49 Merc grille with the Cal Custom center piece. Chris installed a 50 Merc grille surround. Also thinking about using the 49 Merc parking lights.

Not sure about Black, a local painter wants $10K to $12K to paint it black...OUCH. Not sure it is in the budget. Alternate color is a green.

29. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After doing my Merc, I can see why a paint job is 10K. That car of mine wore out my knees, elbows and shoulders and probably took 5 years off my life....

Green is great as long as it is kind of dark, but green and black cost the same money, so pick what you want. Any shiny color is still gonna be alot of work for somebody.

Good luck, -Abone.

30. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Installed the stock rear bumper to get some ideas about keeping it, or using a 54 Merc rear bumper. Also, did a fit check with zero psi in the suspension system. Layin Frame is no problem.

Attached Files: