Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 hudson 2 door conversion?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dublaaron, Feb 19, 2012.

1. dublaaron

dublaaron
    from michgan

So ive had my hudson on the back burner for the last 2 years trying to deside if i want to do a 2door chop. I just wanted to get your guys opinions on the subject. Whos done it. I know its a ton of work but its already channled 8 inches over a s10 frame so its not a stocker. Ill try adding some pics if i can figure this thing out.

2. dublaaron

dublaaron
    from michgan

Heres a pic as it sits[​IMG]

3. Squablow

Squablow

I know I've seen at least one of these done as a 2 door conversion here on the HAMB, I've seen pics but I can't seem to find them now. It may have utilized coupe doors. Looked really good. If I find the pics/thread, I'll repost it here. These Hudsons are one of the few 4 door sedan body styles I really like, but a 2 door conversion is definitely do-able if that's what you want.

4. 51hornetdude

51hornetdude
    from denver

5. Smooth Customs

Smooth Customs

6. Yep it's been done a few times before the Swede car is probably the most recognized.

7. pontiacray

pontiacray

if you need doors or any parts call vintage coach in fontana ca 1-909-823-9168

8. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

i gotta ask W.T.F happened to those quarter panel??

9. dublaaron

dublaaron
    from michgan

A redneck in the back woods of michigan. Somebody cut them out to fit there frame under it. When i got it it had a 70s ford car frame welded to the unibody.. it was realy bad. The rear end was to wide so they cut the rear fenders out to fit the wheels under it i have a pic of the day i pulled it out of the junk yard

10. dublaaron

dublaaron
    from michgan

Ya ive seen that redish one before. I belive it was built in australia.. im just trying to find some pics of one in the prossess.. i want to keep my split front window i was thinking of shortning the roof lengthing the pannel behind the back window. The doors are the easy part i just want to keep the front split window.. what do you guys think. I like the 4 door lines but the tiney front door kinda looks stupid in my opinon

11. themodernartist

themodernartist

It can be done! Here is mine, a work in progress.
    Peace,
    Chaz

getting her low 1.jpg

jays post 1.jpg

whoo-hoo 3a.jpg

12. dublaaron

dublaaron
    from michgan

Fan tastick! Im so happy to see one being done. It looks bad ass. Any more pics or link to build pics? Any suggstions or words of wisdom on the top reshapeing

13. Smooth Customs

Smooth Customs

You want it like this behind the rear window?

[​IMG]

14. A guy from Brisbane, super nice guy and one of the best customs ever! He comes on here not too sure of his name on the hamb.

15. I've covered his face cause it's up to him if he wants to be identified.

Attached Files:

16. Smooth Customs

Smooth Customs

hudson 48, ownes the Hudson.

17. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

And built by you right? ^^^
    One of the nicest Hudson, and more, around.
    Anyway, some cars i dont mind as 4doors, some i do.
    I think what throws off the lines in case of a chop is the 3rd window. If it had longer doors and no 3rd window it would be kool w/ suicide doors, but since doin that is tons of work at that point just make it a tudor, or a ht, just make sure to post a build thread if you do.

18. Smooth Customs

Smooth Customs

What you are describing is a 49 to 51 Merc sedan
    Why make a Hudson look like a Merc

And Hudson released this body style a year before Mercury

19. dublaaron

dublaaron
    from michgan

Awsome info everybody. First of all. I like the ausie car just not to big of a fan og the superlong 1/4 glass i personaly would have made the front doors a bit longer. Also the rear fenders were welded to the body and my hudson with the wheels im going with needs the rear fenders to stay removeable like they are( only way to get the wheels off). The idea of the ht 4 door is an interesting idea but i agree that its a hudson not a merc. I want to keep it as hudson as possable.. when the time comes a build thred will be posted but im knee deep in to a 59 apache that needs to be done by june. So it will be a wile

20. dublaaron

dublaaron
    from michgan

I love that car.. im shure you here it all day long but great job your a master

21. Smooth Customs

Smooth Customs

The 1/4 glass on this car is slightly shorter than a factory two door Hudson!
    The rear 1/4 panels on this car are bolted on, the same as a factory car. What you can not see in the pictures is that the lower part of the 1/4 panel below the side moulding is removable so the rear wheels can be changed. The side moulding conseales this removable section

22. dublaaron

dublaaron
    from michgan

Ya i noticed that with a better look about the removeable side skirts .and thats interesting about the shortness of i didnt know that. Thats something for me to consider. How much did you lengthen the front doors and did you reuse the origonal b pillar. Also did you lengthen the pannel between the trunk and the rrear window.

23. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

This is a Cool Piece... Ive encountered lots of folks out there asking Chopped Merc Owners if theres was a Hudson.. For once some one will be right..

This one looks Just right..

24. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Maybe i didnt explain my self too well.
    I meant to say that if chopped the 4 door sedan with 3 windows per side would look a little odd imo.
    I totally think that unchopped it look great as it is, and if it was mine i would most probably leave it and make it into a one in a million Hudson bomba.

25. dublaaron

dublaaron
    from michgan

I cant deside if i want to leave it a 4 door. The idea of it with 2 side windows is kinda a good idea it would probly make it alot better looking. And i have tossed up the idea of rear suicide doors. Thats like option b. So what yall think. Plan a or plan b? I want to be unique so the 4 door with suicides is very intersting

26. studhud

studhud

Question... How's that car channeled 8" it looks like the frame is hanging down lower than a stock Hudson?
    The car from down under was built using coupe doors and quarter panels. My understanding was they imported the doors and quarters as 2 door broughams don't exist down there? My advice since you asked is this make it a driver and enjoy it if you want a 2 door sedan or brougham buy one it's enough work to customize one without converting one to a two door. I say that because what you want is available. If you bought doors and and quarters I bet your 300 a door and 4 to 5 hundred a quarter that's sixteen hundred now fit them to the car. It's just time and money not sure you how much time you have to donate to it. I love my car it's taken a lOooong time and wish it was further along I am spread too thin on time so I've been selling stuff off. If you need a complete 2 door or help pm me
    Dave Hitch
    FBBF

27. Hudsons are like Mercury's only cooler. :)

28. you're talking about a ton of work. A car that has been cut up as bad as yours sounds could be nothing but a nightmare.
    Broughams are readily available, and for the time and money you'd spend tracking down usable doors and quarters, you'd probably come out ahead just by picking up a decent brougham and using the 4 door for spare parts.

If you do decide to move forward with your plans, there are quite a few of us Hudson guys here that may be able to assist in some way.

Keith

29. dublaaron

dublaaron
    from michgan

Ok for the questions.. one.. the "frame you see" is actuly the rockers. Theres an out side rocker pannel i have to fab yet. I know everybody would just go out and buy this or that but for one im a broke 28 yearold. 2. This is my car i dont have unlimited funds to just go buy a 2 door.. but i have unlimited time so time is no object. 3 anybody can just go buy a 2 door but a real hot rodder chops up une to make a 2 door.. and finaly this car is realy bad so i dont feal bad about radicaly altering it. Its my chop it up fun car. And i am just want to know if yall think it as a 4door is cool or if it would be cooler as a 4 door. Time and work are not a object its for me not some craby customer

30. Ace'sSpeedshop

Ace'sSpeedshop
    from Washington

Suicides, get it running and drive it around.