Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 51 Henry J gasser build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemipwd41willys, Jul 11, 2010.

1. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Love it...J's are awesome....I miss mine...

2. hemipwd41willys

hemipwd41willys
    from Wyoming

Things are kinda slow. I dislocated and tore a tendon in my right thumb doing body work on the rear quarter panel. Kinda hard to do anything until it heals. Dr. says about 2 more weeks with the cast and then into a splint. Shouldn't have to have surgery as long as i don't over do it before it heals.:mad:

3. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to hear about the injury. Give your thumb time to heal properly. The Henry J's not going anywhere. It will still be there when your hand is back 100%.
    Take care.
    Baron

4. hemipwd41willys

hemipwd41willys
    from Wyoming

Well i have finally started work again on the HJ.:D It has been awhile. The thumb took way longer to heal than what the Doc said and it is still not what it use to be before the damage. Don't think it will ever be 100% again. So here are some pics to up date you all.
    I had some help from my son one of his friends and a good friend of mine, setting the body back on the finished frame i then started the metal work on the passengers side. This included removing all the dings and dents, two lower patches on the door, front and rear patches on the quarter panel, lower patch on front fender, extending the bolt flange on the rear quarter, and cutting the front edge of the quarter to reset the door gap. All i have left to do on pass. side is finish the radius on the quarter and make a new mounting bracket for the lower front fender to be bolted up. I have posted more pics of the progress in my album. Hope you all enjoy!

Attached Files:

5. Scottrodsllc

Scottrodsllc
    from ohio

Nice metal work!

Scott

6. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

No offense but Im glad to see you are not doing a remake of the altered wheelbase, even tho it does have a coolness about it with the mid engine.
    Lookin good!

7. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

Nice work!....cant wait to see more

8. HILLBILLY'ED

HILLBILLY'ED

Nice car...I wish I still had my old one

Attached Files:

9. Pro Shifted

Pro Shifted

Very nice work on a way cool build. Thanks for sharing your detailed pictures.I got to hang around a guy that raced a '51 Henry J in the gas classes, B/G and then as we got it lighter A/G. After the class was eliminated he ran in B/A, competiton eliminator. Had and injected Ford Cammer in it. Please keep us posted, thanks

10. Nice looking, can't wait to see it all together and making a pass.

11. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

12. hemipwd41willys

hemipwd41willys
    from Wyoming

Here are the latest pics of the sheet metal work that has been done on the drivers side. It has been about 3 months and a lot of hammer, dolly, slappin and shrinking but i am just about to the end of the metal work. All that is left is to finish mounting the outer rocker on the drivers side and finish the flair extensions on the quarter radius's. I will post more pics of the hood and front valance this weekend once i get them down loaded from the camera. Hope you all enjoy!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  13. hemipwd41willys

hemipwd41willys
    from Wyoming

A few more of the metal work on the drivers side.

Attached Files:

14. Wholy crap is that a sweet J
    Nice work

15. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

Really Cool!!! One more vote for YES.

16. hemipwd41willys

hemipwd41willys
    from Wyoming

Hey Dirty John,
    Is that a vote YES to paint like dads car?

17. That's some nice metal work, it's looking great.

18. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

Sorry! My yes is for painting it like your dads car. That and just a general "yes" because I like it so much that is all I can get out of my mouth. haha

19. there is no better compliment than painting your car like the car that inspired you to build the car, added by probably the man that inspired you to get into cars to begin with. I 'm for painting it the same as your dads for sure . awesome metal work too.
    henry J's rule:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

20. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

You do impeccable body work to say the least.

21. hemipwd41willys

hemipwd41willys
    from Wyoming

THANKS you guys for the compliments. I went to see a friend last night who is building a 34 chevy coupe. It has been awhile since i have seen the car. He told me that what inspired him the most to work on the car were the comments that people have made. I would have to agree with him. The more time i spend on here and read what people say to each other about what ever it is they are doing just make it all the better. So i say to everyone. "What ever you are doing in life enjoy it to the fullest" and have a great weekend!

22. hemipwd41willys

hemipwd41willys
    from Wyoming

More pics of late nights and weekend work. As you can see before starting on the hood it looked like somebody was learning how to dance. It was the worst body panel on the car.

Attached Files:

23. hemipwd41willys

hemipwd41willys
    from Wyoming

More pics!

Attached Files:

24. Was that all hammer n dolly work on the hood ?

25. hemipwd41willys

hemipwd41willys
    from Wyoming

It was a combination of a hammer, dolly, slapper, large stainless shrinking disk and metal body files. I worked on it off and on for 3 different weekends. It took a lot of time to get it straightened out. This is the first car that i have ever done this kind of metal finishing. It has been fun learning as i go but the finished product is well worth the extra time.

26. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Any updates on this sweet project ???

27. What Great Metal Skills You Have !! Going To Be a Sweet Ride!!

28. hemipwd41willys

hemipwd41willys
    from Wyoming

Not yet. Should have a few pics by the end of the weekend. Working on getting the hood on the car and setting hood to fender gaps. Once that is done body will be all together and ready for final body work and primer.:D

29. hemipwd41willys

hemipwd41willys
    from Wyoming

Ok, spent all day yesterday trying to get the hood to fit and open. When i bought the car there was only 1 hood hinge. So i bought a pair off ebay:confused:. They looked to be a very nice set. Well after 4hrs of trying everything i could think of:mad:. I finally change the Dr. side hinge. Amazing the hood almost fell into place:). Set the fender to hood gaps and installed the radiator and grill.
    Here are the updated pics!
    Hope you all had a great Easter weekend.

Attached Files:

30. Looks great, what front axle did you use ?