Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 51 Henry J (another Southeast Gasser) Build "Atomic Wedgie"

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sidsgarage, Jan 22, 2016.

1. sidsgarage

sidsgarage

Good morning all,
    I've been on this site for a while but this is my first build thread.
    This will be my 1951 Henry J that I hope to run with the Southeast Gassers when it's done.
    I've been to a few races and got a chance to meet some of the guys and I'm looking forward to running with them.
    So far Quain, Tony, and Gabe have answered all my crazy questions and helped me a lot.
    Plan A: (Subject to change due to budget, these are the parts I already have)
    1951 Henry.
    Tilt front end using original steel parts.
    8 3/4 rear
    440 Mopar
    Ford Top Loader
    I Beam front axle

Ideas, advice, and free parts gladly accepted! IMG_2585.JPG IMG_2586.JPG IMG_2587.JPG IMG_2588.JPG

Piedmont, swade41, elgringo71 and 2 others like this.
  2. The tall deck wedge may be a tight fit in the J. Not that it can't be done. I totally understand working with what you have so do what you do with it, but you may be a lot happier with a stroked 400" low deck.

On the B/RB make sure you keep your quench tight and get plenty of squish in the combustion chambers, if you don't have them try and find a pair of closed chamber heads. The lazy open chamber heads will work if that is what you have to work with but the mill will breath better with closed combustion chambers. On either head you can increase your exhaust velocity by up to 30% by radiusing the leading edge of the valve even if you stay with stock exhaust valves. Increased velocity = increased flow.

I am not familiar with their rules but most sanctioning bodies outlaw any MOPAR that displaces 426" so you may want to be careful with your displacement or watch the rule book very closely. That falls under the "if you can't beat 'em outlaw 'em" rule. LOL

Have fun with it. ;)

Doctorterry, loudbang and sidsgarage like this.
  3. sidsgarage

sidsgarage

Thanks for the info, I will double check the displacement rules.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

5. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

You can run 440 wedge...doesn't look any different than a 426 wedge to most people.

6. By the rules, you can run any cubic inch you want. Just make the weight if you run too fast. I'm going to run the low block wedge and go for smaller inches at less weight.

sonic03bluegt likes this.
  7. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

Subscribed, love that your using Mopar parts! i too am building a Henry J to SEG rules. It's been quite a few years but if i remember right the desirable factory castings were 906 and 914 for heads. Love big block Mopar, that's s what we used to run back inn the day ( 20+ years ago) according to the rules your car can weigh 2420 with you in it. That's still a pretty light car. Depending on budget. I think all 440 cranks are forged so that a plus. Use 4 barrel rods not 6 pack rods( much lighter) and still strong. Don't know if Mopar performance still exists but the 509 hydraulic is a great cam on a very tight budget with non adjustable valve train. Can't wait to see more!

loudbang likes this.
  8. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Looks like a nice old car. Just treat it nice and dont ruin it.

9. Saxxon

Saxxon

Is this the year of the Henry J invasion of the SEG ?? I'm cool with that, someone has to battle all those Chevy IIs
    All good, More is better !!

10. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

Glad to see you've started a build thread!

loudbang likes this.
  11. Hey another Henry J build, right on !

loudbang likes this.
  12. sidsgarage

sidsgarage

13. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

any new progress?

14. Your feet and legs will thank you! I gave my Lakewood the test at Montgomery this year and it worked very well. IM015099.JPG

gary terhaar, elgringo71 and loudbang like this.
  15. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

Wow!

16. Yes! Everything was contained. No junk on the track or in my lap.

loudbang and Uncledirty616 like this.
  17. 55chevr

55chevr

Did you have a block protector plate on it ? The scattershield did its job.

Joe

18. Yes, had a block plate. I use the block plate as a mid-mount too.

Uncledirty616 and loudbang like this.