Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Danny G, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Danny G

Danny G

I am working on a 51 ford for a man and he wants power steering and power brakes but does not want it clipped. Any ideas on a kit or what will work.

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Repair or replace worn parts. Install new shocks, all 4 wheels. Adjust the steering box, but follow the factory repair manual to the letter. Pump up the tires to 32 PSI

And get a front end alignment.

Others who have done this, lost all desire to change the suspension or add power steering. When that car was new, old ladies and grannies drove them with no problem.

For power brakes there are add on remote boosters that work with your original master cylinder. If everything else is OK, that would be the simplest solution.

3. Danny G

Danny G

Its not my choice, the man wants power brabes and steering.

4. What kind of drive train is in the car? HRP

5. Coopa

Coopa

6. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

Fatman makes a kit that uses an 89 up caviler rack. Not sure how it clears a rear sump flathead pan. I have a nailhead in my 51 with a rear sump. Built my own brackets, so was able to build in clearance. Several companys make disc brake kits forb a shoebox. Mine uses 86/92 aeroster rotors and 82/94 camaro calipers. Use a late 60's g m master, booster and prop valve. You may have to go to a swinging pedal. Makes a great brake system. If you want more info, pm me

7. Danny G

Danny G

The car has a 302 ford with a c4 trans. Thanks for the ideas

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I have not done it and do not know the details.........BUT........there have been threads on the HAMB about using a Volvo P/S box on Shoebox Fords......

Ray

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The Volvo box is very old, like mid seventies, and I think only the six cylinder model works. The steering boxes are surprisingly similar in layout but good luck finding one in your local Pik A Part.

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Had another brain storm......might consider one of the new electric power steering units that install in the column, between the steering wheel and the steering box.

I do realize that on the '51 Ford the steering shaft is one piece, but anything you are going to do requires mods and/or fabrication. Seems to me the electric unit has merit worthy of consideration in this particular case.

One downside I can think of is potential interference with the shifter, if it's still on the column.

Ray

11. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

I would do the under floor power brakes with the stock drums and try and see if a rack and pinion is something he would consider or even a power rack setup.
    Im going to upgrade my 49 to a dual mastercylinder off a mustang and thats it for the brakes.