Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 ford coil cutting..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirthawker1313, Oct 24, 2006.

1. dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313

i was wondering if you can cut the front coil springs on a 51 shoebox without taking them out of the car ? i was looking at them today and noticed that i could theoreticly cut off 2 coils from the bottom. has anyone done this and if so what are the cons of doing this.

2. curtiswyant

curtiswyant

I would definitely advise against it. Taking them out isn't a big deal, and it's alot safer!

3. Oldsmobucket

Oldsmobucket

definitly take the extra time and take them out. those springs are under alot of pressure and when you cut through there is no telling what would happen.

4. Tin Can

Tin Can

My uncle does then in the car. he did my shoebox when I had it. cut the coils half at a time so that you are able to get them out. If you cut an entire coil you will have to cut in in half to get it out after the rest of the coil drops down. I cut one out of my old one and I couldnt even tell. After 2 it looked great. Hope this helps ya

5. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

If you choose the cut the coil in car route, at the very least use a spring compressor. Their cheap insurance against what could happen
    if you've lead a past life, like I have.

Swankey Devils C.C.

6. old beet

old beet

Used to do it in the car when I was a kid. Just jamb a couple bars in the lower coil, to take a little pressure off. Cut them in small pieces. Wear yer saftey glasses!!!!!......OLDBEET

7. dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313

thanks for the advice all..

8. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Been doing it for years with no disfiguring injuries yet ... make a cradle to insert in the spring to lift it up from it's seat with a length of 1/2''allthread. Then lift spring up just far enough to trim 2 coils off 1/2 turn at a time. Dig the pieces out & guide the spring back into it's pocket. (this works on cars with the shock inside the coil only)