Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 chevy - winter means time for projects

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boones, Dec 3, 2011.

1. n847

n847

I really dig those wheels and tires...And did you use the word conservative in describing a 550 hp motor? Which looks nice by the way!

2. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

n847, that must have been a typo, it is more like 250 to 300 hp (550 is my next build)

Time for a end of the weeknd update. Actually spent a full three days in the garage instead of in the yard.

First thing I got done was the fabrication of new spring mounts to allow me to move the springs in 2". This was actually easier than I expected. with the new mounts welded up, it was time for another trial fit of the springs. everything lined right up. I had to move the gas tank over 1" (within its locating range) and I had to cut into the spare tire well (needed about 1" of extra room. (I will either box it in or remove the spare tire well ??)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was now time to go out behind my shed to my garden of rearends (they grow there) and grab my Maverick 8" and a 9" that i have had growing for about 6 yrs. The 9" used to live under Flamedabones Sedan before he stepped up to the QC. I have been back and forth on which way to go, I knew the 8" would be the cheapest with just one tube shortened and one axle where as the 9" would require both tubes and axles shortened but in the long run would be a stronger set up.

I spent several hours cleaning up the 9" as I had decided that was the direction I was going

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I next moved on to the removal of the outer portion of the rear wheel housing (closest to the qtr panel). These cars have inner panels that set in about 1" or more from the qtr panel and for this build ever inch is critical. Starting with some bracing for the eventual complete removal of the wheel tubs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after a few beers and time to stare at what I had done and my desire to minimize my budget, I kept looking at the 8" as a possible candidate. with the inner fender removed I was able to get a good measure with the help of the wife and some plum bobs. with measurements in hand, I decided to mount the tires/ rims on the Maverick rearend which I had sitting on some jack stands. with them mounts I could get a decent measurement of the overall width. The width of the tires was slightly less than what I had measured between the fender lips with the wife. Another bonus was the spring perch location holes where 1/4" wider than the relocated rear leaf spring locating pins. The rearend locating holes are 1/2" but the new springs locating pin are 9/16". Drilling larger holes offset made up the difference.

with the rearend installed and tires/ rims mounted, everything tucks with a finger space of clearance

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I plan to roll the fender lip some to gain a little extra room and I will add a panhard bar to minimize side to side movement.

For the first time in months, the car is back under its own weight

[​IMG]

as you can see, the car does not sit low enough, I am sure the new springs will settle but I will also add some lowering blocks. (first need to install the new 3" dropped front coils).

Next step is to pull the rearend and springs back out, paint the spring mounts, rebuild the brakes and paint the rearend, build new wheel tubs and get a driveshaft built.

More updates as they come.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  3. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

quick update. spent the week trying to complete the wiring, I am about 95% complete. I also got some help from KustomBuick today building new inner rear fenders. Got one built and will start the other this week

Still need to finish the install, add some seam sealer and then re-undercoat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. cakes

cakes

Looks great, nice tech on the inner fender fix

5. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Kustombuick gave up his weekend to help me out. we finished up the install of the inner tubes, added seam sealer and undercoat. spend a hr or two on the NAPA site and found a rear brake hose that would mate the factory chevy brake line with the ford wheel cylinders (3/8"). Found early 70's ford car and trucks had what I needed depending on the length of the rubber hose that goes from the rearend to the brakeline on the frame. With new brakes lines bent up I only need to install new wheel cylinders since the old ones are looking less than great.

while he bent up the brake lines, I adjusted the rearend location pins and fine tuned the front spring mounts before finally install. With the fender lips rolled and inner fender wheel wells move, we now have adequate room between the tire and body.

Spent the rest of the weekend finishing up the wiring and plumbing the new fuel lines and radiator hoses.

Next step is to double check everything, add oils and get ready to fire off the motor.

[​IMG]

6. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

7. ytt49

ytt49
    from socal

looking pretty bad a$$.

8. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Thought I would close this thread for now as the car is officially back on the road until next winter when I will install a Mustang II susp and probably convert to a 4 link to get it down lower in the ass. maybe even some new interior pieces. As I do more I will update.

[​IMG]

Until next winter. enjoy your summer

9. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Hey your ride is freakin sick, love the stance. Around here they are all lowriders. Good job.

10. shoebox50

shoebox50

11. I drill the centrer of the rivets, grind off the heads and punch them. :eek:

12. Loe

Loe
    from CDA, ID

Looks great! I wouldnt normally be into a car like so, but dayam its amazing.

What did you do with the six?

13. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/foum/attachment.php?attachmentid=167658&stc=1&d=1340744765[​IMG]

I love 1951-52 2dr ht. This is my 51 Chevy that I purchased from the original owner. She was 78 years old and bought Liz new at Sunset Chevy in Washington State. She has a 1989 TPI 350. with 700R4 trans. As you can see she has air suspension. Her original color was met brown with tan top. What was your cars original color? Looks like your doing a nice job on the car. Good luck. have a good time doing it.[​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. wayfarer

wayfarer

Looks great, Ken. I look forward to seeing it at good-guys in Puyallup next month.

15. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

hotrod willys, your hardtop is really nice Seen it in Orting at the Kingsmen 500 show.. the stance is right on..

wayfarer, you bringing your wagon..

16. wayfarer

wayfarer

No, my wife is taking a two day class at UW, so she has to drive into Seattle from her parents' place in Covington every day. My father-in-law and I are driving down on Fri. in his GMC, but we're just going in as spectators.

17. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Boones. hope to see you at the fircrest run on the 8th of July. See you then. I may have the 36 Willys at that show. Stop by and see me.

18. deto

deto

I love these Chevys with the hot rod look and not always customs. The stance is killer. Leave it as is!

19. Did you ever get the New vintage gauges installed? How did they turn out? Got any pics of them installed? I'm looking to get new gauges for my 51 and these look like they might work.
    -Pat Rolland

20. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Its time for some updates now that it is winter again. Plans for this winter include new front susp, steering, paint the roof (so new window rubber) and get the rearend down further (de-arch the new springs or go with some other set up..

Pat59, yes I did. Here is one side..

[​IMG]

drove the car over the summer, even made a trip down to california with it. decided it drove like shit and this winter I would update the susp and steering

Two weeks ago I ordered a Fatman Mustang II kit for the front. I have started the disassembly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

next move is to remove the engines/ trans and start my measurements for the new front end.

21. chaddilac

chaddilac

Hey Boones... how hard was it to install those gauges in the stock holes?

22. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Chaddilac, straight forward. They sell a kit to allow installation in the 51/52 chevy. If you look close you can see an aluminum ring between the bezel and gauge and there is a rear retainer.

hotrod-willy, I love and hate your hardtop. Love it's looks but hate it as I had been planning on painting my car the same color combo and since you are so close , I now have to find another combo.. you made my life harder..

23. chaddilac

chaddilac

Sure enough I see it now! Who sells those kits?

24. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Made by New Vintage USA. Marks914 on her sells them. nice set up, only issue is the light is not through the numbers, it is lite from the rear and the light comes around the side, so it is not super bright at night.

25. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

good work, im gonna keep an eye out for updates on this. keep it up

26. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

well it all apart again for it winter upgrades pulled the wiring back, pulled the column and wheel and insulation pad is ready to come out. I need to start welding in insulaton retaining studs (to remove the factory clips) and weld up unused holes while I wait for the front susp to arrive

[​IMG]

I started another post to figure out if Ozzy versions have the factory access plate on the opposite side of the firewall. (I want to weld one on the passenger side).

I will start pulling the motor/ trans after Xmas (need to borrow an engine stand since mine has my BBC on it)..

27. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I am off this week so I hope to make some progress on the car. Spent the day getting the motor/trans ready for removal as well as the steering box. Also got the firewall insulation pad removed and started to mark the firewall for those holes that must remain and those that get filled (almost all)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tomorrow I will start welding in studs to hold the pad on (versus stock clips) and making patch panels for the air duct holes.

28. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

been getting dirty stripping the firewall and filling holes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

while I was doing this, the wife decided to dig in and help strip the carpet and glued in underpadding. We will clean it up a little further before adding Dynomat.

before
    [​IMG]

after a little scrapping:
    [​IMG]

29. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Now it is time to start digging into the front susp with its removal in preparation for the new Fatman Mustang II. started by removimg the sway bar and steering box and cleaning years of grim off the frame

[​IMG]

[​IMG]