Register now to get rid of these ads!

'51 Chevy clutch questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by playinsafe44, May 1, 2012.

1. I have been working on my brother's '51 Chevy coupe. It has a '54 235 with a stock trans and torque tube. I have run into what could be an issue though. I put in a resurfaced flywheel, new clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing because the old stuff was slipping. While I was at it, I did the rear torque tube bushing, and the rear spring bushings because they were shot. Well it seems to drive just fine, but there is some noise. It's not very loud, but it is noticeable. Without pushing the clutch pedal there is no noise from the clutch at all. As soon as I push the clutch in I can hear a faint rattle, and when I let out the clutch I can hear a hissing sound. It sounds like it is just caused by the friction from the disc, but I haven't heard this sound before. Could this be from not having sound deadener in it? It doesn't have the bottom tin flywheel cover on it right now either. Is this normal?

2. burnout2614

burnout2614

A resurfaced flywheel will cause the hissing noise. The rattle I am not sure of. If you didn't clean or grease the input shaft that may cause some noise. I have also had new t/o brgs make noise. peace

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Put your ear buds in and turn up the music. Have a beer ,don't worry. Once you get carpet etc. in you won't hear anything. Noises you are getting are pretty normal,just wish my hearing was that good.

4. Hanson

Hanson
    from Belfair

It's okay to leave the dust shield off, that shouldn't add to the noise. I've never had a new setup in mine. I thought they were supposed to make noise normally! Could it be the throw out bearing?

5. inthweedz

inthweedz

All normal, the bottom plate covers up lots of noises..
    I would say the hissing noise is from the refacing marks on the flywheel / pressure plate surfaces, and the slight rattle, is possibly from the damper springs in the clutch plate.. Nothing to worry about.. :)

6. Thanks for all the reassurance. I'm glad I don't have to pull it back out!