Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 51 Buick Dynaflow Transmission Vent Tube?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SmallTown, May 5, 2018.

1. SmallTown

SmallTown
    from Hemet

Started up my 51 Buick Special after it had been sitting for a while. When I turned it off it vomited tranny fluid out of the dipstick tube. I read somewhere that it might be a plugged vent tube? Not sure where that is or how to clear it. Any tips would be great. What side? Location? How to? Etc. Pics would be great if possible. I’m more of a visual learner...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

It may be like our 55 BelAir cast iron powerglide. It would burp trans fluid especially if I just pulled it out of garage and shut off, fluid out the filler tube.
    I replaced filler tube o-ring gasket, new cork cap gasket, then removed transmission tail housing, drilled and tapped it installed a vent, which was a short 90 degree inlet fitting for a Holley. I replaced rear seal and bearing also. I run fluid low at bottom mark on dipstick. So far so good. 20180408_114957.jpg 20180408_114848.jpg

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk... Gary from Virginia

3. SmallTown

SmallTown
    from Hemet

That is pretty ingenius, right there. Thanks for the tip. Not sure if I am ready to jump into that just yet, but I appreciate the response. Thanks!