Register now to get rid of these ads!

50's Build Styles???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31 Coupe, Apr 11, 2012.

1. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Hi all,
    My hiboy 31 coupe on deuce rails build has locked itself into a late fifties style now that I've got a 53 8BA flathead, 45 fin Buick drums and a 57 ranchwagon 9" rearend etc.
    In an attempt to not mix up era styles could you please advise me what type and size wheels were used, body paint schemes and colors, engine accessories types and interior styles etc.
    Any photos of mid to late 50's style A coupes would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance, GB.

2. ford steel rims in the front and merc wheels in the back. The merc's are a little wider.

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sounds nice, I'm doing a 1962 build on my '30 Roadster, as nice as they are the finned Buick drums may be out of place on a '50's build. When did Buick first offer them. Bob

4. Late 50s is gonna have you pretty much locked into factory steel wheels; painted or chromed. I believe the first Halibrand magnesium wheels were available in ’58, but would be hard to find and expensive as well; they were pretty much a drag racing item anyway. As for the engine, you sure as Hell don’t want an alternator or plastic fan. Interior-can’t go wrong with tuck and roll.
    You may want to find some of the old little books or Hot Rod and Car Craft magazines from the day; I’ve bought a bunch off eBay.

5. I believe the Buick finned drums came out in '57.

6. F&J

F&J

Take a look at the 50's hotrod picture thread.

The tiny skinny front tires with 750s on the back is more for 70s and up. Late 50s would be a smaller width of whitewall, not 4" or 5" .

More likely to have 15" or even, the then modern, 14". Chromed steelies would be good, or painted.

Think late 50s "local Autorama" builds; it was all about colors and metallics:cool:

Also a nice interior was a must if entering a local autorama.

7. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Thanks guys,
    I'm not too far off the track then.
    I'd like to use steel wheels, Halibrands are definately out of the question and it's not a drag racing theme build anyway. I feel that 16" wheels were more of a 40's and early 50's style and 15" were getting more popular later in the decade in painted or chrome. Not sure about white walls though, probably be black walls at this stage.
    Nice interior was on the agenda too with a later dash style etc, I've got a 36 Ford dash and I'm still sourcing 50-53 Desoto gauges.
    Paint colors were getting a little brighter and pastel shades were getting used with OEM production, jury is still out at this stage.
    45 fin Buick drums and the 9" diff were released in 57 as stated above, consequently a late 50's build style is required to be authentic.
    I'll look for the links suggested but please post any photos that could help.
    Best regards GB.