Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 50 Merc mild custom. Driveway style!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by UnIOnViLLEHauNT, Sep 14, 2008.

1. excellent work man , best of luck with the new house ..

2. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

OK! More driveway progress on the 50 Merc. I don't get people. It seems vanity before safety. This car was repainted after the rockers were replaced, and at which point in time they MUST have seen the inner rockers gone with nothing really holding the body to the frame except a few floor spot welds. I don't think this was much more than a few panic stops away from not being one, chassis and body.

So...now we move onto the inner rocker area. I have yet to find a sensible way to do this, its just a ball busting pain in the ass no matter what. The inner rocker originally follows an odd contour and travels from a massive weld seam under the cowl all the way to the rear wheel well. 7 ft more or less. I havent had a car with nice originals and havent held the Green Mountain ones in my hand yet but from what I can piece together. Its a "floor cap" as I call it, I think it may be that in the parts catalog, where the floor dips down 90 degrees, and then the C channel formation making the inner rocker. All in all a very strong perhaps overdesigned idea, but really a bitch.

Here we see was under the replacement junk rockers...

[​IMG]

And what gets cut out.

[​IMG]

I only have a crappy 30" brake. So bend up some of these...

[​IMG]

Put the floor "cap" or whatever its called in, this gets plug welded to the body supports. Then follow that with the inner rocker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finished up some welding after that but it was late and my camera sucks in the dark so there you have it. I jumped up and down on it, and it was nice to see it go from slinky to strong!

3. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Lookin great Chris! This thread was well worth the 5 minutes away from MILF watching at Starbucks!

4. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Mmmm....its Fall. Pumpkin Spice Latte! :D

5. invizibletouch

invizibletouch
    from Mobile, AL

Killin' it Chris! Looks good man.

6. Fermiumhalo

Fermiumhalo
    from Japan

DAMN Playa Looking good here some of my work :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  7. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Well, good...now you see that the body will be sound enough to take the utter thrashing that the flathead's sheer brute power has to give. :D

How novel, a nice flathead in a Merc haha. And a red flathead, in a black 50...with lowered tail lites...this sounds awfully familiar to my driveway ;)

Motor looks great, degreased under the hood and realized that the quick connect is on the deck @ the other place attatched to our hose from when I was powerwashing the house. Great. So Im hoping to get down tomorrow, re-degrease and let it have it with the powerwasher. That motor will look great against the satin black inner fenders.

8. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Nice work ,Chris. I hear your movin down by Mark. Im in Jackson, Welcome to the neighborhood. Mike

9. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Yep! Thanks. We will be right over the highway from Mark. Chances are you pass the place on your way to Marks!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  10. Fermiumhalo

Fermiumhalo
    from Japan

I plan on juicing that flathead with a 100 shot of NOS. I'm sure to then be able to merge into traffic on 22 like that :) Maybe even cruise with a honda or two...

11. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

good god man, you are an animal when it comes to mercs!!! keep up the good work

12. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

hows this merc coming along ?

13. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

There has to be more updates.....? Nice work so far.

14. Fermiumhalo

Fermiumhalo
    from Japan

I think Chris was eaten by one of the many demons that live in this Pile of crap. Last update was the brakes where being tackled as it seems I installed them All WRONG! HEHE sorry Buddy. I'll be up there soon to lend him a hand and get this hunk'a'junk cruisin on the Streets. In the mean time I'll be tackling the OD trans and resealing that and painting it to match the flathead.

15. zeitlerusmc

zeitlerusmc
    BANNED

nice work so far man stay motivatd and keep the pics comming!

16. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Mas! I went over the brakes and adjusted/bled em. Edgar did em right! Just needed some tweaking. I had to get them working right so I can move onto the other side of the car. Why? Well...I live on a big hill. So far the drivers side is done, Im SUPER stoked, this thing was hit kinda hard and the bodylines and gaps were all over the place. Not perfect, but Im really pleased with it. Had to remove the rear quarter to hammer the inner structure out and then slice out about 1/4" of the bracing, reweld and reinstall to get it flush and nice. Worth the work. Outer rocker is on, and doors open and close nicely with the bodyline being pretty much where we want it. The car was bowed in the middle from the previous no inner rocker.

Here is the owner (and I guess operator) Edgar manning the brakes and wheel. And thats my fine-azzzzz $700 POS truck doing the gruntwork.

[​IMG]

My girlfriends Altima infront for liability's sake (his car is registered/insured anyway) and we reverse back up the hill. Cut it loose and steer it in the driveway. Just always have a fear of one of my projects ending up in my neighbor down the streets living room or something.

[​IMG]

Some shots of the drivers side as it sits.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Nice job on the rockers!

18. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

keep it going chris!!!!

19. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

...And today I get a notice from the building department in my mailbox...

...I wonder what they want? ;) I'll find out Monday I suppose.

20. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

probably just want to tell you what a good job you are doing on the merc,;)

21. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

And here we are last nite...looking like a custom! Bodywork is all blocked out, going to get some prime today, just going to go to the diner and get a Spanish Omelette first. Very excited, for both :D . Lowered it and such, after I prime it the car has a new set of Coker radials in my basement Ill put on later. Runs and drives with the flatty/OD back in now as well. Going to get exhaust during the week, has half a dual setup we cut up and welded on just for it to drive, nothing like the sound of a flathead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Bitchen! Very nice job.

Keep those pix coming!

Theo

23. OshkoshRob

OshkoshRob
    from Oshkosh

I've got the same exact car and have had the same run around with the rusty rockers. You guys have done a great job. How did you lower it? That's the perfect height.

24. Nice work,UVH! What color is he gonna paint it?

25. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Thanx homies. I split the lower A arm and put in some of my 1 1/2" spacers to lower the spring pocket, and cut one coil off. Rear is 3" blocks with the small leaves removed (5) which invariably are broken on these cars, no different here, leaving the 3 main leaves in the main pack back there. Also because you are removing you get some scrub line back, I cut the bolts down after its all together.

Bob, buff prime. Hes leaving for Japan (Army calls again) in Feb so its just going to get driven a little till then, we arent sure what to do next. After the silver 50 kinda thinking carson top, but I have located a coupe roof, one 51 door and possibly a 50 door as well so might go that route since the car is coming along pretty nice. I think ultimately gloss black or idk what dark color.

26. I can tell you how much I love Wise Guy's Carson topped '50! Ever since I saw the purple one that slddnmatt had,i've loved that style...

27. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Oh Edgar? I updated this, have you seen?

The car is in primer now and safely returned to his house in Hillside NJ, where it sits in a garage with a carb issue. Nothing like those crappy original backdraft carbs...

Now, he's leaving for a year (Japan), so we are trying to decide whether or not to go on ahead with the 2 door conversion and chop, I think it would look wicked! ;)

28. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

Nice work on all that rust repair. You're giving me hope about my '62 Chevy PU. Keep up the posts. I'm interested to see how this comes out.

29. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

As soon as either he or I can get to checking out the fuel issue, he's going to put the 57 Caddys on with the center bullets and I want to take some nice pics of it. has the glass back in for now etc. Getting the exhaust finished too, was supposed to be last week but didn't happen.