Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 50 Ford column

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dino 64, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. manyolcars

manyolcars

The turn signal housing looks exactly like my 59 Ford car

Dino 64 likes this.
  3. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Thanks, I'll have to look further before I buy.

4. I'm not 100% sure , but I think '51 was the first year Ford put T'sigs on the column in passenger cars..
    Only thing I'm sure of is somebody on here will know...

Dino 64 likes this.

5. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Thanks, got a 50 passenger car steering wheel, don't know if it will fit a 51 column

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. Well Fellas, that is a 1957 unit. Tell tails are 57 was the last year for Horn wire through the Center of steering shaft. Also the Black plastic on the signal wand that is tear drop shape is 57. 58 was white in the same shape 55 and 56 were round and black. Also you can see the shift detent is for a 2 speed auto not for a standard shift. Hope that helps ya.
    The Wizzard

7. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Wow, thanks ! Good to know, too bad it's the wrong one

3340 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. Are you sure it's a 50 wheel? The spline is the same but the Bell is different and will not cancel the signals. I believe a 51 wheel is a better fit. Not that you can't make due that is.
    The Wizzard

Dino 64 likes this.
  9. What is it your trying to do?

Dino 64 likes this.
  10. Dino 64 likes this.
  11. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Match the spline on the steering wheel. Wheel is a 50. Don't know when Ford changed splines.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Here's the one I got IMG_3840.jpg IMG_3839.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. The back side will tell us more. 49 is still tapper and Key way. 50 is spline but back side is like a Ball. 51 is flat with the switch canceler clipped to the spline hub, more like the next generation. Also I stand corrected, Crazy Steve pointed out the knob does not have the Ribbs. Also I had not noticed the column drop has 2 protruding bosses on it that is Not 57-58. May well be a 55 -56 unit. I'll go get a photo of the back side of a 51 Wheel so you can see what it takes to work the signal switch.
    The Wizzard

14. So here is the back side of a 51 wheel. The metal hub in the center is where the cancler should be. I don't remember removing it.
    20171024_192242.jpg This is a 50 Merc wheel with the signal part still on it. Same program Ford to Merc.
    20171024_192312.jpg

lothiandon1940 and Dino 64 like this.
  15. That column could be a '57 T-bird column, but other than length it's the same as the '56 car column. IIRC, Ford used the same shaft size/splines all though the '50s into the '60s (and maybe beyond) but changes to the turn signal switches can make swapping wheels problematic. You might look at milling the 'ball' off the back of your wheel to make it like the later wheel.

Dino 64 likes this.
  16. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Thanks guys, here's a shot of the back of the wheel[​IMG][​IMG]

17. Yes, as you thought that is a 1950 wheel. What kind of parts are you working with now? Is it the signal issue you want to solve? What kind of steering column do you have now? There are a lot of ways to sit that 50 wheel in a different car. I wouldn't buy a complete steering unit just to put the wheel in your car.
    The Wizzard

lothiandon1940 and Dino 64 like this.
  18. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I'm working on a 31 coupe project. Have no column now, just wanted to use this wheel in the build. What other solutions do you suggest?

19. Sounds familiar. I was locked in on my 40 Ford wheel in my Channeled 30 Roadster. Sounds simple but not so much so. That took a whole new dash set up. Tell us more about the rest of the project. Beam axle I'd guess. Cross steer or Drag link? Stock dash and tank? What motor in relation to Exhaust to Box space? This info will help with different choices. What about a shifter?
    The Wizzard

20. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Thanks @ p-n-b. Beam axle, cross steering, sbc crate, exhaust, lake pipes, 32 dash, stock tank removed, T-5 tranny. I was told an F-1 column has the same spline as well. Built a 52 F-1 and sold the stock column☹️. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Dean

21. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Oh and turn signals are not a priority but making the horn work is !

22. For me when doing steering install the #1 thing for me is how the wheel fit's in my hands. It must be comfortable. Your going to be hand building all the mounts anyway so make it worth while. Sad to say making your Horn work will be the biggest issue. You haven't told us what steering gear you have or if it's mounted. Horn wire down the shaft don't work well with a U-Joint. Yes it can be done. This is a work in progress for that very thing.
    20171025_154855.jpg That is a section of 1-3/8" mast jacket with a Jeep contacter being adapted (ya, I know).
    Let's get back to simple here. Were it Me doing your job I'd try to use an early Ford (35-48) steering gear box with a 49-50 Ford mast jacket cutting the tapered and Key'd end off and welding on a Splined end from the 50-57 steering shaft with the horn wire hole still in it for my wire. While doing this I would mount the steering gear where it worked best with the cross steer link while hanging the column in the car where the Steering Wheel felt good in my hands while sitting in the seat. Sounds complicated but not really. Then you can address the exhaust in and around the space left. Don't try to hang steering around mail order headers. Also this can be done without using any Freekin U-Joints.
    Here's the end result of doing just that.
    20150919_102235.jpg 20151023_094207.jpg

Dino 64 likes this.
  23. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Thanks again, it's a vega box, I knew I was going to be in for some fab work, fitting the spline correctly seems like the first step, modify from there. Yours came out great thanks again

24. Any time. Shoe Box Central may have the housing by itself.

Dino 64 likes this.
  25. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Thanks, shoe box central had the exact column from a 50 !
    Thanks for the tip

26. Nice when things work out eh? Did you also get the inner shaft? Look close at the bearings I used in post 22. Those are hardware store bearings that are flanged, fit inside the tube and are 3/4" id. They fit need very well.
    The Wizzard

Dino 64 likes this.
  27. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Thanks, yes got the inner shaft as well. They were very helpful and know their shit. Not expensive either.
    Now I have to figure out how to make the horn work. I took the horn ring off and texted them pics and they are sending me a horn insulator and a schematic of the assembly. But as I’m sure you know the horn wire goes down through the shaft and out the box and I’m doing cross steering. I was going to start another thread on this to see if anyone knows how to make it work. Thanks again for turning me on to them.

28. Well, that section of steering column with the Hose clamp on it is my test piece and will work well for what your doing. That funny looking Black button with the shaft and tab on it is a transfer contact. It rides on an insulated brass ring fastened on the inner shaft. The wire comes down the shaft exits through a hole and connects to the brass ring. My current issue is how to make the connection accessible. I believe I have that figured out but the project fell off the Top Shelf.
    I had asked about how to get that job done on here several years back and it went no where. If someone else has a better way I'm all ears.
    The Wizzard

Dino 64 likes this.
  29. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Thanks man, the Shoe Box guy told me there was a o t Volkswagen steering set up that solved it but he didn’t know any details, Year etc.
    But your solution was floating around in my head but couldn’t bring it all together, thanks again, works for me

30. Out of curiosity I did a google search and found nothing Volkswagon that goes down center of shaft. Closest thing of any interest at all was 1955 parts but don't see how they could work out. Think I'll stay the course I started on. What stopped me was my car is a 51 and with it being an Automatic it has the shifter tube inside the outer tube. It rotates inside with the shift motion. Threw me a real curve. I think I have it sorted out but no time to get back to it yet.
    The Wizzard

Dino 64 likes this.