Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 50 Chevy Southeast Gasser build (Purple People Eater)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Purple_People_Eater, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Purple_People_Eater

Purple_People_Eater

Okay so I am building this car like what would of been considered Gas Class or Gasser! So anyways here it is. 1950 Styleline 2 Door it is a real clean car IMG_1063.JPG IMG_1065.JPG IMG_1078.JPG IMG_1058.JPG IMG_1059.JPG
    I picked up a 327 the other day I'm going to build for it. IMG_1663.JPG
    I got busy removing the front end, engine, and firewall. I set the 327 in with motor plates to see what location I was going to mount the solid engine mounts . Where it sits is 1/2" shy of a full 10% set back. I may come forward just a hair more. For future intake/carb setup clearance. I am getting ready to gut the floor soon. I ordered a 10 point cage from Rhodes Race Cars IMG_2302.JPG IMG_2297.JPG IMG_2294.JPG

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    enloe, loudbang, craig b blue and 9 others like this.
  2. southcross2631

southcross2631

Good start. Independent front end with spacers or an axle?

loudbang likes this.
  3. jnaki

jnaki

Hey PPE,
    Nice start on your Chevy. Those cars were popular in the 1958-61 era of So Cal drag racing. If you need some inspiration and direction for your era correct build, you might want to check out one of the best of the time period. Bones Balogh was one of the top racers/drivers in So Cal during the 60's.
    [​IMG]
    It was not a coincidence that our final build of the 671 on the SBC for our 40 Willys got some inspiration from this 49 Chevy build, right down to the 6 Strombergs which we already had running on our SBC. Research as many places as you can. This car was one of the fastest and well built cars in So Cal.

Jnaki
    Everyone cleaned up the stock cars, fixed what was needed to make it run well, handle, and stop. We all dropped in a more powerful drive train for the faster times. No jacked up front end, no external gas tank in the front...just what ever came with the original car, just cleaned up with new parts.

It will depend on which time period you want to make your build resemble. They were all stock looking until the mid 60's when the other add-ons started to show up. It was creating an odd assortment of what made the car go faster at the drags. Despite what it looked like, it was the quality of the build as to who usually won the races. Looks be damned...yrmv
    upload_2017-6-13_5-23-6.png

fol, AHotRod, tonkadawg and 1 other person like this.
  4. Purple_People_Eater

Purple_People_Eater

Axle for sure. Thanks

5. Purple_People_Eater

Purple_People_Eater

Awesome I most definitely will check I out.

6. southcross2631

southcross2631

Ignore the haters. It's your car. If you want to put the motor in with rubber bands it's your business.
    I like the engine set back and if I could use motor plates I would on my build , but the southeast Gassers rules say motor mounts and not plates.
    Keep up the good work.

Max Gearhead and lawman like this.
  7. Purple_People_Eater

Purple_People_Eater

Im not out to satisfy other people. So I doesn't bother me at all. Yeah only if my neck of the woods had a more dedicated gasser association. Like southeast gassers. I would be more inclined to follow the rules closer. Thanks Southcross! do you have a build thread?

8. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Looking forward to the build progress, were building a 50 coupe in a similar style.

sent with tin cans and strings.

9. Purple_People_Eater

Purple_People_Eater

Awesome any pics?

10. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

No need to apologize. There are alot of people going real fast with mounts as opposed to plates. You generally need engine limiters and mid mounts as well as a tranny mount when running plates. What do you save? My comment wasn't meant to be hateful. I like the " Shakey Puddin" car. I haven't seen anything recent on it. And I love what Quain is doing. I wish he would allow clutch automatics as long as he is allowing people to run Hightower transmissions with billet inline shifters with verticle "T" handles. How about Team G tunnel rams with sideways mounted carbs? SEG is still the best racing around.

11. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Build what you like and have fun!! There is a gas association around here and they run from A gas to E gas on indexes. Not like the old days but fun to watch. A gas is 7:60 E gas is 11:60 with others in between. No tricky electronics, etc.
    I haven't run at the drags since the early 90's but have been helping a friend with a chevelle 1 year to new for this board but it's fun. He runs C gas-no nitrous or other stuff-big block single 4 barrel powerglide and back halfed-best run 8.76 at 152-1.22 60 foot time. Makes me want to built one to run the D or E gas class

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  12. southcross2631

southcross2631

Morris Minor Gasser build is my thread for my car if you want to look it over.

13. Purple_People_Eater

Purple_People_Eater

Got a little bit more done today. Trimmed a bunch of brackets off, Cut some of the front floor out, cut the front motor plate down to get the engine sitting close to where it needs to be in the frame and roll cage showed up today. So I messed with it a little. Also I moved the engine forward a few inches. IMG_2342.JPG IMG_2343.JPG IMG_2344.JPG IMG_2345.JPG IMG_2348.JPG

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    kiwijeff likes this.
  14. Roothawg

Roothawg

FYI, the SEG has a TX branch. Is this a race car or dual duty? Sorry if I missed it somewhere.

Not trying to argue, but a Hurst motor mount would be easier in the long run and look right. If you want a mid plate, that would be pretty easy to disguise. I guess you could punch a bunch of holes in the plate and polish it to change the look. Just thinking out loud here.

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

16. long island vic

long island vic

are they tri five or nova headers

17. Roothawg

Roothawg

Purple_People_Eater likes this.
  18. Purple_People_Eater

Purple_People_Eater

Fat fender headers

19. Purple_People_Eater

Purple_People_Eater

Not too much to report on today. Besides cutting the rest of the floor out. Still have trimming to do here and there. IMG_2352.JPG IMG_2353.JPG IMG_2354.JPG IMG_2355.JPG

20. Roothawg

Roothawg

Good Idea.

21. Purple_People_Eater

Purple_People_Eater

Finally had some time to work on the car. Started fitting the main hoop of the roll cage today. Fabricated perches from the frame to the inner rocker. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Lone Star Mopar likes this.
  22. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

@Purple_People_Eater, lost track of this thread while I was on vacation. I'll see if I can find a pic of our project although its not much to look at yet, just a rusty ol coupe. Still in the parts collecting phase, so far weve got a big block w turbo 400, also have a muncie 4 speed if we go that route, Ford 9" an old straight axle setup and a few other goodies. Shouldn't be to much longer we'll tear into it.

23. Purple_People_Eater

Purple_People_Eater

Cool yeah let me know if you find a picture

24. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Screenshot_2017-06-22-22-52-48-1-1.jpg
    Here's a pic from when we first got it. My Pops and I drove to Oklahoma and bought it cheap to do a purpose built race car.

kiwijeff and Purple_People_Eater like this.
  25. Purple_People_Eater

Purple_People_Eater

Good looking start. I had a coupe at one time. Wish I had kept it.

Lone Star Mopar likes this.
  26. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I have a sedan for a crusier, always wanted a coupe... Screenshot_2017-06-22-23-05-55-1.jpg

kiwijeff and Purple_People_Eater like this.
  27. Looks like the body isn't coming off the frame then:rolleyes:.
    Kinda wondering why you would want to do the roll bar now?
    Seems like there's plenty of work to do in the interior, without having it in your way.

28. Purple_People_Eater

Purple_People_Eater

There is a method to my madness. I need the front body mounts gone cause of header interference. Cant really place Engine in the right place. Can't really do that unless I weld Front perches on. But I have to install the main hoop so I can mock up the rest of the cage so I can locate where the front perches go. Total snow ball effect. As far as interior goes. Not much left. Besides pulling the side glass. Wire wheeling the rust scale off. Taking a few misc. parts off, And some slight floor trimming. Them paint. It's getting fiberglass doors, and aluminum floors and firewall. I really want to be able to plan out my seat, pedal, and shifter placement. So as I said snow ball effect. I can't seem to do one thing without starting another.

powrshftr, enloe and chevy57dude like this.
  29. Yes, when you're balls deep like that, each change causes two others! Love the build.