Register now to get rid of these ads!

50 chevy chop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS, Dec 3, 2009.

1. SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS

SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS
    from BAY AREA

i thought id share a chop im doing with you guys, unfortunetly i wasnt planning on posting this so i didnt get step by step photos but ill show you guys what i do have and whats happening up to the end result.

started with a 50 chevy for a gentleman from hawaii.
    he really likes mercs and the look of a really low roof so the proportions where not my decision.

we started out with marking the car out 4" vertical in front and 6" vertical in the rear.

[​IMG]
    ok so this is where i jump ahead with the pics
    [​IMG]
    in chopping this the roof came foward about a 1.5 or so, dont remember exactly but the b-pillars had to be moved back and reshaped due to the new slant of the roof.
    [​IMG]

2. SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS

SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS
    from BAY AREA

in this pic you can also see the door tops needed to be reshaped to follow the new roof line. another thing i do noticew when i see these cars chopped and not on all of them is sometimes i see a gap in the middle on top of the door, almost a flat spot in the door top. i avoided this by cutting and moving a few things and it now follows the roof and drip rail.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS

SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS
    from BAY AREA

4. hotrod-kenny

hotrod-kenny

5. Hal_396

Hal_396

Looking good! It would have been nice to see a step by step as I'm always intrested in learning better ways to do things.

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Hey that looks pretty Rad Skoty. Funny, there are a couple threads started or bumped today concerning 50's Chevy and it got me thinking about whether or not I wanted to chop the one I am starting this January after my '35 is done. This one has me on the "chop that fucker" side of the fence. Looks great!!!

7. SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS

SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS
    from BAY AREA

moving on to the back panels and rear window. we moved the rear window up a few inches so the corners of the roof dont sit lower then the panels and belt line after the back window is layed down. a few relief cuts where made in the top to help reshape the top portion of the roof. just a bit of stretching needed in that area to keep the stress out of the roof.

[​IMG]
    so after cutting out the shape i needed with 18 guage sheetmetal i started the process of making the new panel. it was alot of back and forth with car, english wheel,sand bag and shrinker stretcher and made a panel i felt fit good.
    [​IMG]

8. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

nice clean work,,,,,,great job so far!

9. SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS

SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS
    from BAY AREA

[​IMG]

heres where i fast foward again to the garnish moldings. i will keep posting pics of what we are doing to finish the roof. i still have the other side to finish.
    so with the new slant of the roof the garnish moldings also had to be reshaped to fit stress free. we are also not responsible for the bag set up in this car(switch box and mount)
    [​IMG]

10. SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS

SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS
    from BAY AREA

here you can see the garnish molding cut down and finished but with a cut at the top corner, this is needed to fit the new line of the door tops.
    [​IMG]
    welded and fitted
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    well thats it for right this moment but should have more pics up in the next few days. thanks for checking it out.

11. jmdc

jmdc

Wow! looking good scotty!

-Justin

12. SteadyT

SteadyT

13. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

14. SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS

SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS
    from BAY AREA

thanks alot buddy, something was telling me to post this thread so i did. we work on alot of these. any pics of yours?

15. SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS

SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS
    from BAY AREA

haha, how are you buddy?

16. Looked nice, now it's just gettin' better

17. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

It Looks AWESOME Skoty!!!

I love it!!:)

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I would need about 100 pics to get it all in since it's really disassembled at the moment. I am bringing it to our new shop either this week or the next so I can get started when I get back from GNRS.

It's just a '54 150 that I picked up a couple years ago. I have a 365 Eldo Caddy V8 motor for it with a Weiand 2 x 4 intake with WCFB's, Original suspension with dropped uprights, '53 Olds rear etc. I am not exactly sure on the details but I'd like to start pretty soon since I found out a couple weeks ago that I am going to be a first time dad!!! Need something for the family....& the dogs you know?:D:D:D

I like the earlier day of customs like Sam's Merc, but '53-'54's are a tricky one to get right for an early to mid 50's style. Cole fosters and Mike Ness' cars are probably my favorite of those years. I feel like I appreciate 49-52's more then the '53-'54's but this car means a lot to me so I am determined to have it turn out right with no regrets. Thought about grafting '51 Chevy rear quarters on the back to stretch it out a bit but I don't know. I really am lost when it comes to customs.

19. wizard47

wizard47

Putting that knowledge to work, thats what i like to see.

20. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

Great thread. The chop looks awesome. I am thinking of chopping my 52 so this helped me out alot.

21. Looks real good. I actually like the straight B-pillars too.

22. The Shocker

The Shocker

Very nice work.The rear window flows nicely ,and the proportions look right IMO...

23. chop50chevy

chop50chevy
    from upstate ny

Looking good. Make this Skoty thread subscription number 2!

24. oneshotkustoms

oneshotkustoms
    from joliet il

Hell yeah bro looks sick !!!!!!!!!! ya know how I like choped 52's

25. 52pig

52pig

Simple and clean, looks good. I always thought the roof was too high...

26. jlloyd

jlloyd

That looks so killer! I'm halfway hoping that we do that to my Dad's new ride.

27. PegLegStrick

PegLegStrick

Looks good...........flows nicely

28. Real nice work Skoty, keep us updated

29. Cruiser

Cruiser

Scotty - Excellent work the chop is looking good. I'd like to see a reverse C curve where the rear window ends. The whole car has all these soft curves and the end of this chop it's pointed.

CRUISER :cool:

[​IMG]

30. mx6262

mx6262

Smoking Hot Post!!!!!

Great Job on the Chop, will we see the compleated job?

Paint Ect....:cool: