Register now to get rid of these ads!

50 Chev brake help needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rainh8r, May 13, 2010.

1. rainh8r

rainh8r

I'm putting the rear brakes back on a 50 Chev for a friend and can't get the shoes to come up against the cylinder pins. I compared the new shoes to the old ones, which were the same all around, and the holes for the e-brake arm and rod are in the same place on both new and old. it looks to me like the e-brake arm is not moving back far enough to let the shoes move together at the cylinder, as the rod is bottomed against the arm and nothing can move any more. These were apart when I took the drums off, so I didn't get to see if the shoes were off the cylinders to begin with. Does anyone have a good picture of the rear brakes and e-brake system, or have any good ideas? The e-brake cable is loose, so that's not holding anything back. If I didn't know the brake rod and arm were in the same place on both new and old shoes, I'd blame the holes in the the shoe, but I've checked them a couple of times. Thanks, Rob

2. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Can you pop off a pic? I have a 50 as well, but I swapped out the rear end...but not before rebuilding the old brakes first ;P If you post it up, I can probably help you out if no one else knows what the deal is off the top of their heads.

3. visor

visor
    Member Emeritus
    from Missouri

First off get rid of those HUck brakes and up date to '51 thru 54 bendix style.
    get the whole set-up, backing plates and all from a donor. You can purchase all new brake
    parts new from NAPA

4. rainh8r

rainh8r

If this were my car, that stock rear end would be long gone, but it's not. It's a pretty nice, stock car that I'm trying to get working for a friend, and all the parts are in hand already. I'll try to work it out this weekend and see if I'm missing something.