Register now to get rid of these ads!

5 x 4 3/4 to 5 x 5 bolt patter question??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THE CHIEF, Feb 12, 2010.

1. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

i subframed my car and i want to be able to run the original stealies and hub caps and most important be able to have one bolt pattern on the 4 conners, i figure its got to be easier to convert the front rather than re drill the axles on the rear, and no i dont want to use adapters for the reason i dont want the tires to stick out, is there any way to put a 5x5 rotor on a firebird / camaro spindle? or any other ideas?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  2. greasemonkey060

greasemonkey060

I'm not sure about an "adapter rotor" that would change your bolt pattern in the front, but personally I would just change the pattern in the rear. Redrilling the rear axle flange is gravy, I'm sure a local machinist would do it for cheap.

3. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

mid 80's/early 90's full-sized GM cars had 5x5 bolt pattern

4. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

would the impala,silverado rotor fit?

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most of the five on five cars from the late seventies and early 80's had 12 inch rotors.

I'd be checking to see if I could have a machine shop drill the 5 on 5 pattern in your rotors.

The other option for a spare would be what is called a snow tire wheel by the tire stores up north in that it has mulipal bolt patterns and you might find one that has both 5 0n 5 and 5 on 4-3/4 to run as a spare.

6. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

If you are running the one piece(later model) spindles, you can swap the whole spindle of a caddy or chevy full size to get the 5x5 pattern. ( i think any gm fullsize actually)

The reason you have to swap the whole spindle is that the 5x5 cars also had the larger rotor like it was already mentioned, and the caliper mounts are cast into the spindle.

I have also heard of larger rotors being cut to a smaller diameter but I dont know how that would be done or if it would be less expensive that getting the rotor redrilled for the pattern you need.

Cesar

7. just re-drill the bolt pattern....either the rear end axles or front rotors. it's not hard or expensive to do. i've done it many times

8. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

thanks for the info

9. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Astro van, 5 on 5 pattern.. same pads (d52) ,same inner bearing (set 6 )...I do not remember the exact part # but you have to adapt the outer bearing. Camaro uses set 3 and astro uses set 2..Getting old, memory failing LOL !
    It's doable with shelf parts.
    Dave

10. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

bump...any other clever ideas?