Register now to get rid of these ads!

5 X 4 1/2 on model a?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChuckUFarley, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Been reading up on installing self energizing brakes onto a Model A. Seems like the option that is easiest is the F-1/F-100 swap. I have not yet gotten an axle yet as I wanted to explore my options as far as spindles were concerned. The only issue I have with this is that I am not interested in running a 5 X 5 1/2 pattern wheel. My rear axles are 5 X 4 1/2, my wheels that I have are 5 X 4 1/2 and I'd like to use them.

Do I have any other options as far as self energizing brakes that would give me a 5 X 4 1/2 pattern and would be relatively easy to adapt? Thanks in advance for any help with this.

2. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Your limited with brake choices if your planning on using Ford spindles on Ford axles. The easy thing would be to just grab a set of front f-1 or 100 brakes, and wheel adapters to go from 5.5 to 4.5

3. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Another option is to go aftermarket with front brakes from Bob Wilson at Wilson Welding. He sells hubs drilled and tapped for 5.5 and4.5 that go right on old ford spindles. His brake stuff is the best around as far as aftermarket goes

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Just redrill the drums and hubs to 5 on 4 1/2". why make it any harder on your self?

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, and you don't even need to do it. Any decent machine shop can do this for you, pretty easily, with perfect accuracy, and for not too much green.

6. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Yep that's what I did. No adapters necessary.