Register now to get rid of these ads!

5 window into 3 window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 5WINDOWJOHN, Apr 20, 2011.

1. 5WINDOWJOHN

5WINDOWJOHN
    from SO CAL

I really like the '36 ford 3 window coupes, but they are really expensive (even as projects), so i wanted to ask my fellow hamber's. What modifications or alterations do i need to do to a 5 window to make it into a 3 window??? Thanks!

2. Old Gold

Old Gold

remove 2 windows

3. I would say,get some 3w doors,then start the fabricating.......

4. 5WINDOWJOHN

5WINDOWJOHN
    from SO CAL

hahaha!!!

As far as i can tell, the body line on the roof in a 3 window starts after the rear door pillar. And the gap between the roof and the beginning of the deck lid seems to be longer on a 3 window. Do the 3 and 5 window have different doors??? Thanks.

5. The 3 window roof is actually shaped a little different. With a pair of 3 window doors and some pictures to look at you should be able to make a few tweaks to the rood line.

6. 5WINDOWJOHN

5WINDOWJOHN
    from SO CAL

A 3 window roof does look a little different. Can anyone verify that the gap from the rear window to the beginning of the deck lid, is a few inches longer on a 3 window than a 5 window? Thanks again

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

will you be 3WINDOWJOHN soon? find a 3 window with bad lower rusted body and cut roof off.

8. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Doors are definitely different.. Check out Cole Fosters build of Kirk Hammetts 36...

9. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Yes, the rear panel is longer on a 3 window vs a 5 window. The doors on a 3 window are longer than a 5 window. So you will need 3 window doors (good luck) or a pair of 2 door sedan doors. You'll need an extra set of doors to cut up to make the rear curve of the top of the 3 window door. Do a search for Cole Foster and the Metallica coupe. I'll see if I can find it for you too.

10. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

heres an overlay photo I made with the same thought in mind....
    [​IMG]

11. Click on my link below of my build that I am in the middle of to answer most of your questions and also take a look at Hellonwheels build on the HAMB as well.

12. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

Well I have bought enough parts to convert a 2 dr sedan in to a 3 window. This is the easiest and cheapest route.

This is what I had to buy:

Rear Clip assembly but is very rough
    Door tops to weld on my sedan bottoms

Now for the assembly. The sedan and 3 window doors are the same length so my post will stay in the same location, the rear of the door tops are round on the 3 window where the sedans are square. I am looking for the garnish trim, looks like I will have to modify the stock garnish trim to fit. The floor is different just behind the seats (sedans only I think). Sedan rear fenders can be modified to fit the coupe body. There will be a filler piece starting at about the 1 o'clock position.

That is about all that is required on a 2 door sedan, 5 window coupes have the same floor pan but the doors are shorter and the post will have to be moved back. The trunk lids are the same.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  13. 5WINDOWJOHN

5WINDOWJOHN
    from SO CAL

Thanks for all information... Please keep all the information coming....

14. terryble

terryble
    from canada

Ford 5 window coupes from that era use Fordor front doors, straight at the back. the 3 window coupes use a door more the dimension of a Tudor but with stylish curved window framing at the back of the door dare isay more like GM. It would take a tremendous amount of fabricating but could be done, I would start with Tudor doors as they are way more common than 3 window doors and go from there.

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I looked and couldn't find it, but I remember there being a bunch of pics of it in progress.

16. carbuilder

carbuilder

The floor pan is the same for a cars 35/36, it is the opening lengths & quarter panel lengths that are different.

17. Does anybody have build pictures of the 36 Cole Foster converted from a 5 window to a 3 window? All I have ever seen is the bare and painted final product.

18. it would be a whole lot easier if you sold your 5 window and got a 3.i know someone looking for a 5 window :D....

19. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

He had posted build pics here at one point, look back through his posts, he's Cole on here.

20. I felt the need to do a 48 3 window in 1993, I moved the roof forward 4 1/2 inches during the chop. added the 2 door sedan doors 8 1/2 wider. took the front of the original right window to form the rear of the left ect.
    I think ford made all the parts you need for your 36

Attached Files:

21. uncle Dave

uncle Dave

Enjoy your 5 window! 3 windows are the best ..but 5's are pretty too!
    Don't go ruining a 5 window just because!!
    still lookin for a 3
    uncle dave