Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical $5 Handy parts storage boxes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kent Vanhelsing, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Kent Vanhelsing

Kent Vanhelsing

Here is an idea for helping with the constant issue of never enough accessible storage. I make the boxes out of scrap lumber and small swiveling caster wheels. This one is has 1x12 base with 1x6 sides. The wheels are actually pretty good quality hard rubber for a buck each from China Freight. A 1.5" hole saw and jig saw makes the handle. Partition the box to suit your needs.

No matter how heavy, the boxes will now easily move under your bench or other out of the way areas. For anyone struggling with a one car garage shop, you can now store parts, etc. right under the car !

Attached Files:

das858, scotty t and '51 Norm like this.
  2. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I have found that filing cabinets from the local house junk shop are great for toolboxes or parts storage. The nice thing is that they can usually be had for cheap or free. Naturally I have several. My major problem with them is trying to alphabetize the contents.

3. Kent Vanhelsing

Kent Vanhelsing

Here is a photo of one of the boxes with lid to keep contents reasonably clean. A few mothballs inside will make it safe for electrical stuff that mice favor. Again, its scrap plywood, extra door hinge, and leftover key ring for grab handle. The grid on the top mimics the partitions in the box so you can tell the contents at a glance. I like HVAC tape, it sticks to anything and won't degrade like fabric duct tape. The peel and stick labels will then stick to the tape and can be changed as needed.

Attached Files: