Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 States in 9 Days. In a '32 Ford!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by John D, Apr 22, 2009.

1. KIRK!

KIRK!

He may make it in EIGHT DAYS!!!!!!!

2. Kurt (sgtlethargic) ... Your dinner is ready ;):

Eat Crow.jpg

... that's right, our man Dave has safely arrived in Hyder, Alaska:

49in9 Roadster @ Hyder, AK - Stewart, BC border.JPG
    click thumbnail to enlarge

Dave’s trip took him 8 days, 16 hours and 48 minutes ... He averaged 66.7 mph while moving ... and his overall average speed including stops was 62 mph.

There's still time to donate! ... www.49in9.com

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  3. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

there always has to be one:rolleyes:

4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Congrats Dave! You've raised alot of money for a GREAT cause. You should be very proud of yourself and those that have donated to the cause can be very proud of themselves as well.

5. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Wow, congrats Dave! He's making the rest of us long haulers look like a bunch of slackers!

That's so cool, what memories!

6. I still stand by what I said. I never said it couldn't be done. And, nobody ever answered the question of "why not do it at a more reasonable pace and get more publicity?" You guys are trying to make more out of this than I did. Enjoy your drama.

Thanks,
    Kurt

7. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Here is some info from a email ....

Here’s some information from today’s final and triumphant day on the 49 in 9 trail! All told, Dave’s trip took him 8 days, 16 hours and 48 minutes. He averaged 66.7 mph while moving and the overall average speed including stops was 62mph. He started out this morning in the town of Hope, British Colubmia at 2:30am and drove hundreds of miles through what he called “breathtaking” scenery up to the border and on into Hyder. He relayed via telephone “I saw five black bears today alongside the road” he said.”They’re everyhwere up here! I also saw an Elk this morning. You cannot beleive how pretty it is up here. He’s still short of the $100k goal so we’d like to ask you to donate now so that Dave can meet that $100k goal for Ronald McDonald House. Go to www.49in9.com for all of the details

8. One what?

9. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

someone who bitches about a good thing. you have the only negative post in the entire thread.

10. I wasn't bitching, I was questioning- big difference. One comment might be a bit negative, but it's nothing like what you're trying to make it. Why did you bring it up again, to be positive?

11. Hey Kurt (sgtlethargic) ...

I've got a fantastic idea for you ... why don't you put together a "49 in 49" fundraiser for your favorite Eco-friendly 501c charity? ... You could drive your propane-powered '61 Comet through all 49 states in 49 days ... and prove to everyone that you are better than the rest of us ... by:

* Never driving faster than the Federal (or State) posted Speed Limits.

* Never driving for longer periods of time than the NHTSA standards for sleep/rest allow.

* Having a Smog Test performed in all 49 states (to verify that your car still complies with the EPA's emission standards for alternative fuel vehicles).

* Eating at restaurants that only serve organically grown fruits & vegetables.

* Staying at Hotels/Motels/Hostels constructed of renewable materials; powered by alternative energy sources (solar, wind, etc. ... but no nukes); with organic hemp linens on the beds; a water conservation policy in place; etc.

* Off-setting your trip's "Carbon Footprint" by purchasing carbon credits.

* Etc., Etc.

I know you stated that you're not into "Reality TV" shows ... but I'm sure Discovery's PLANET GREEN network would jump at the chance to cover such a worthwhile endeavor ... and just think about all the donations you would receive from the wealthy Hollywood Celebrity types!

Before you promote your "49 in 49" fundraiser on the H.A.M.B. (a website devoted to "Spreading the gospel of traditional hot rods and customs to hoodlums world wide..."), you might consider changing your current HAMB signature:

Environmentalists Against Rodders of The Hot

OK ... I've gotta ask, why all the HATE dude? ... I always thought it was those right-wingers that were the "mean-spirited" ones :confused: ... you might want to re-think your "strategy" for getting HAMBers to "Think Green."

As for your "Enjoy your drama" statement ... IMO, it was your negativity & nay-sayer attitude that brought the so-called "drama" to this otherwise positive thread.

12. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

when is the next person going to step up for another of these runs? This was a great thread. I wish I had caught it before it was almost over so I could have tracked his progress. And a big thank you for raising the money for Ronald Mcdonald house, they made a big difference to my stepson when my little grandson was so sick after he was born. They were broke and had to rush off to Macon to the hospital there, and the Ronald Mcdonald people gave them a place to stay and made sure they had the necessities they needed while dealing with the crisis. And sgtlethargic if it had been your little grandson being rushed to a hospital in an incubator, and these people stepping up to help your family, you might be a little more supportive of his run to raise money for them.

13. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Way to go Dave! You Rock!

14. What exactly did I say that was so negative and hateful for you to write all of this?

And what's making you think that I have a "strategy for getting HAMBers to think green"? My current signature line is a parody of the Hotrodders Against The Environmentalists bumper sticker.

In looking back at this older thread, I may have been a little harsh in my questioning, but I think you're blowing it way out of proportion.

15. I never questioned his motive, his charity, or said anything insulting.

16. sgtlethargic ...

The majority of my post (top two thirds) was in response to your suggestion that Butcher Boy should have stretched it out to 14 (or more) days to get more "publicity" for his fundraiser. The reality is that Dave's "49 in 9 - Driving For the Kids" event received quite a lot of ink in magazines, newspapers, & on-line media ... as well as on local TV newscasts all across the country.

My "fantastic idea" rant was my way of suggesting that perhaps you could show us all how it "should be done" and I provided you with some ideas how to promote it ... If you actually ever did such a charity fundraiser (and chose to promote it here on the HAMB), I'd be among the first to post words of encouragement to you ... rather than critique your worthwhile endeavor and infer that you don't know what the heck you're doing!

The bottom third of my post was in response to my perception that your current signature was just a clever way to promote your Political views on a Traditional Hot Rod & Custom message board (i.e., it's also a link to your "Politics" social group). I apologize for my ignorance ... I have never seen a "Hotrodders Against The Environmentalists" bumper sticker ... and therefore didn't realize that your current signature was a parody ... it makes more sense now.

Sorry if my post came across as a personal attack on you ... that was not my intent ... I'm really just here to discuss Traditional Hot Rods, Customs, (vintage) Drag Racing, Land Speed Racing, etc., etc.

17. The first round of organic carrot juice and shots of wheatgrass juice are on me should we (HEMI32, Butcher Boy, lostforawhile) ever meet.

18. layin_frame_56

layin_frame_56
    from Ohio

That my friend is just freakin AWESOME

19. sgtlethargic ... LOL :D ... I'll definitely take you up on that! :)

20. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

if you guys do a calendar that needs to be on it.