Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 49 Mercury OD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49 Mercury, Dec 12, 2009.

1. 49 Mercury

49 Mercury

Hi all , Newby and my first question, Problems with my over drive. I have replaced the solinoid (checked and works). still problems. I have a shop manuel and am familiar with the check procedure but want to by pass all and go straight from the power sourse with a toggle switch in between to the od solinoid. Will this work and if not , what is my alternative. this is a stock 49 mercury with overdrive. I am also puzzled about the function of the rail switch. I know the 51 does'nt have one. the answer does not have be eloborate, just plain and simple. Thanks, Jack

2. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

The rail switch locks out the overdrive when shifted to reverse.

3. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

There is a fairly recent thread on here dated 12/05/09 by SlmLrd that is titled overdrive questions. There are several good posts on there for hot wiring an overdrive set up with diagrams.

In the original form the system works like a champ. I think most of the electrical components are available but pricy. With the flip switch you still may need a small relay or the switch will wear out pretty quickly on a 30-amp circuit.

4. samurai mike

samurai mike

i've ran my 50 merc od with a toggle switch since 1978 with no problems.

5. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

6. I'll add both of you guys (49 Mercury,samurai mike)to the HAMB Merc Club,so you can go right to the source with your questions. Check out the thread "HAMB Merc Club". There's lots of pic's and info on there.