Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 49 merc - chassis plans?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Drewfus, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Trying to do some homework in preperation to make some 'adjustments' on my brothers 49 merc (2 door), to which I'm searching for dimensional info on what the original chassis is supposed to measure in at, to which, I'm struggling to find anything from the web.....any one have some drawings tucked away?

Obviously I can measure my brothers car and go from there, but thought I'd ask in case there miraculously is info somewhere, making my project a bit quicker to figuire out.

Cheers,

Drewfus

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  2. bubmrdrmerc

bubmrdrmerc
    from oklahoma

what dimensions do ya need?

3. need.....
    * wheelbase - 118"?
    * front hub track width?
    * Main chassis rail under body - size and centre/centre distance?
    * front end - how much kick is there at the front in regards to say the underside of the main rails?
    * width of rails (& centre/centre) at the front (across the front crossmember area

Again, I can go and spend some time measuring the car which is cool, but, was hoping there might be some form of drawings already commonly availible in the interest of time.

Cheers,

Drewfus

4. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

do you have email address I can scan the diagram from the Tex Smith book...PM me

5. Yep, Tex Smith's book has all the chassis plans.....................

6. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

you should have an email..Let me know if it worked..

7. Thanks mate, appreciate that.

Out of curiosity, what was the book you guys are reffering to?

Cheers,

Drewfus

8. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

tex smith's hot to build shoebox fords has a hideous red shoebox on the cover..Lots of good info inside though..

9. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

10. cool, so, please excuse my ignorance, but how much different are the chassis's to the shoebox's? I say that purely because we had the shoeboxes out here, but not the mercs, so my chances of finding a s/box chassis are going to be a lot better.....

Thanks again,

Drewfus

11. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

12. FEDER

FEDER

Drewfus its a 49

13. IMPALAMAN1

IMPALAMAN1
    from bay area

LOOKING FOR A 1955 4DOOR MERC FRAME/CHASSIS DIAGRAM.... any clues? thanks in advance

14. Tex Smiths book "How to build custom cars" also has the complete story on putting a Merc on a late 60's early 70's GM sedan frame. The cover has a pink Studebaker chopped custom and a chopped merc.