Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 ford motor mounts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Revhead, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

So while I was under the car putting the starter back together I found that the pan is sitting on the crossmember. I'm cheap. Should I attempt to start this thing like this or is that not a good idea? Whaere can I get motor mounts for the 6cyl?

Thanks

2. MichaelDorman

MichaelDorman

3. Not a good idea.
    It's possible the fan is lying up against the radiator.

We had a six cylinder 53 Ford in the good ol daze, Sweetie hit some bad RR Tracks at maybe 10 mph, motor mount broke (rubber/steel separation) and the fan went into the radiator.

Would it be easy for you to disassemble the motor mounts?
    Like in pulling the rubber off them and ending up with some usable steel pieces?
    And figure out a way to install and retain some new pads cut from Neoprene rubber?
    If so and Neoprene is unavailable in your neighborhood you may be able to make some cushions from UHMW plastic.
    The UHMW is considerably harder than rubber, but it works well as motor mounts.

4. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    And figure out a way to install and retain some new pads cut from Neoprene rubber?
    If so and Neoprene is unavailable in your neighborhood you may be able to make some cushions from UHMW plastic.
    The UHMW is considerably harder than rubber, but it works well as motor mounts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, Jay. OR he might be able to use a couple of good old Canadian Hockey pucks!!