Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 49 ford Gambino notch kit completed... Pictures!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ian Berky, Sep 3, 2009.

1. gtrain61

gtrain61
    from Illinois

I am new to the hamb but not to welding and I have been welding for 13 years. I see nothing wrong with the way you welded your notch vertically, hell we spot (trigger) welds at work all the time, on material 5 times that thick. It is beveled of course. it is on mining truck frames that vibrate like crazy and they sill hold up. Keep it up man your doin' fine.

2. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Thank you!! You just made my day!!! I need to take a video of me welding and maybe it'll show that there is no way it's gonna come apart..... It's welded inside and out for god's sake!! Safety is VERY important to me.....I'm a freak about it and i get shit from friends all the time because they think I'm over the top about it!!

Thanx again man!!

3. ttarver

ttarver
    from austin

Man this thread took a turn!!! I just started welding myself so I can't comment on any of that but I think you've definitely got some fab skills. I have followed the build of your car as well as this one. It has given me some great inspiration for my build. I am doing a Gambino notch on my '54 as we speak. The only advice I can give you is let all the bullshit slide right off your back man. There will always be naysayers and sometimes it is hard to tell between that haters and the people that are trying to help you out. Just don't let it get to ya man! Keep on truckin'

4. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Ian,

You have to remember everyone has an opinion and it may not be what you want to hear. If the work is safe and you're happy with it, keep doing what you're doing. Don't let anyone get under your skin. Most people can't even admit they made a mistake. Dude you Rock! You've inspired me just by your postive attitude and willingness to get off your ass and do something.

5. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Thanx man!! Alex was extremely helpful in the install of my first notch kit in my chevy and also this 49' , if you have any questions make sure to ask him!!:) If i can help you , let me know!!
    I'm glad i can inspire you to work on your car!!:) You also have some great advice for me, thanx for that!! I need to learn to take a step back from that negative crap, not easy sometimes, but possible. I'm a nice guy but i can only take so much!! Constructive criticism is always welcome and actually appreciated..... But i gotta say, 2 of those guys i would love to meet in person to see how tough they are when not behind a keyboard. They've definitely crossed the line with me for sure. Thanx again and good luck with the Notch, hopefully we'll see it finished!!:)

Ian
    Hey man, opinions are GOOD, assholes are NOT. My work is very safe and i am confident that nobody, including myself is gonna get hurt over my suspension work. I understand that people are trying to help me ,but i think sometimes it's just way over the top!! I have had my welding looked at by a few VERY VERY well respected HAMB members and my stuff is solid, so i get really pissed off when someone, with absolutely nothing to show for, insults me in front all you guys!! Point made!!:mad:

Anyways.....:)..... Thanx for the kind words man!! I really hope to see you at mooneyes!! I'll be there in the chevy, first show!!

You rule man!!

Ian

6. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Nice work Ian ! Great step by step pictures too ;)

7. cafekid

cafekid

for sure.......... dude i do this every day at work and there is nothing wrong with a stitch weld yes it is pretty and yes as long as you are set up it is plenty strong.... but like others have said dont listen to some of these guys, a lot of them grow a huge pair when they get behind a computer screen. and remember opinions are like ass holes everyone has them, but some stink more than others

8. My 2¢: Anyone that tells you that your welds are shit from a PICTURE do not know WTF they are talking about. To really know, they would have to see a sample or take a section out of what you have already welded, which is out of the question.

I have been welding off and on since 1972 and have spent many an hour welding tow trucks, stock cars and passenger car frames. Your stuff is pure art compared to what I can do and a helluva lot better than 90% of any factory car frame I've seen.

Keep up the kick ass work.

Bob

9. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Ah same ol' keyboard fightin' HAMB.

Looks sick man, cant wait to see updates on it.

10. Big Nick

Big Nick

Ian, it looks great! Ah the beauty of the internet and how it breeds them all! Keep it up dude! I look forward to these posts, well with out the bullshit.

11. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Thanx so much Axle!! Everything i know is from looking at pics on the HAMB and analyzing them, so if it can help somebody..... Im stoked!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! The last thing i wanna do is hurt somebody and destroy a nice custom car!!

Thank you so much Bob!! I truly appreciate it!!:)

Thanx brotha, im almost done with the door tops!!:)

12. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Thanx so much Big Nick!! Sometimes i wonder if i should post at all , but i know some people enjoy this stuff so i do it. I love looking at people's threads that have tons of pics..... It's fun stuff!!

13. Big Nick

Big Nick

Dont sweat it too much dude, its just the internet. I have learned that myself. keep up the work, if you stop posting that means i have nothing to look during work and this office is boring!:D

14. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

HAHAHA!! That wont keep me from posting!! it's all about sharing ideas and helping each other build cars.:)

15. Big Nick

Big Nick

Well if it makes everyone feel better I am still shaky on baggin my 52. So I am gonna keep reading

16. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

robbie wit primer shoebox from ruff rodders?

17. oz kustoms

oz kustoms

ian,you just keep doing what your doing,nobodys really better then nobodys,---------------0z

18. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Thanx OZ!! It means a lot!! You're a great inspiration man!!:)

Ian

19. Realtor11

Realtor11
    from Upland CA

So should we line up on your block with $800 cash in hand to get you to do the work that many of us don't have the guts or talent to do? ...come on Ian, you already know you are only charging that much because you aren't really welding everything together... I know that's JB Weld we are looking at!!! LOL

I want to see the door tops!!!!!!! I'm getting all excited to tear into more of mine.

20. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

HAHAHA!! That was the last time for sure:confused: Soooooo much work!!
    I'll post the door tops when im done with both. It's not easy that's for sure!! but i want them perfect!! Well.... perfect for me!!

21. Realtor11

Realtor11
    from Upland CA

Yes Yes... we all know how you work... JB Weld, Unsafe axle mounts, super gluing the body to the frame... I want progress pictures... I'm thinking about rounding mine to match the roof line.

oh - if anyone needs some welding done I will be more than happy... my mig welding looks like someone threw up metal... but that's what a grinder and lead is for right?!

...and I'm still waiting for the photos of that Dodge you told me you would send!

22. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

HAHA!! PIC ON THE WAY BRO!!

Ian

23. big creep

big creep

WOW! all the shit talking i missed, this is my car! and ian is my FRIEND! as far as the price goes, he made it! i know how much work goes into a car like this. i cant thank ian enough for what hes done. so please stop all the shit talking and crying about his work! if you dont like it, you can eat a bag of dicks!!!! this is my ride! ill do whatever i want with it! thanks Ian and keep up the great work, you will only get better at this! so guys build a bridge and GET OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

HAHA!! I love the bridge reference!! LOL!! I love you bro! I appreciate it man and i know you do too!!:)

Much love!!

25. hellbird

hellbird

What does a gambino kit run

26. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Send Gambino a pm, Im not sure anymore?!?!?!

27. superchiicken

superchiicken

fucking nice work, ian. i just might have to take your idea from the trunk floor and use it on my 50 coupe. by the way did you do your own floor pan ? i like this thread , i just subcribed to it. keep us posted youngblood..

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  28. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Hey man thank you, this thread is now a few months old and i am no longer working on it. Pm me if you have any questions maybe i can help!!:)

29. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Hey Ian! Don't let them FUCKERS get you down. You do good work and everyone knows it. I'd be proud to have you work on a car for me. I wouldn't think twice about it.

That chop is looking sick!

People around here sure know how to hide behind a keyboard.

Keep up the good work buddy!

30. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Thank you so much for the kind words man!! I love to work on cars and i do the best i can with the skills i have, safety is a priority though!......I know the 4 link is safe! The first one i did was on my own chevy and i've already driven it over 1000 miles and it's holding strong, and i did some aggressive driving to make sure of that!! I'm 100% not second guessing myself!!

Thanx man!!