Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 flat 6 spitfire help.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JalopyJenny, Jul 5, 2010.

1. JalopyJenny

JalopyJenny
    from Seattle

So Just got the 49 home, and been trying like hell to get her going. Tried just about everything. Any tricks I should know about?

anyone familiar with this engine, or the 49 Chrysler Windsor?

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Might need more info. What is it doing or not doing?

3. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Have you done a compression check, have you done a static timing? are you set up positive ground? is the starter cranking? are you getting fuel and spark? is your firing order correct, is your coil wire firmely seated in the coil and dist.

4. Normally if it'll turn over and you have fuel and spark it should run. There's nothing tricky or special about those engines, I have the Dodge version in my '39 and '46 Plymouths.

5. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

We are shooting blind, but here are the standard tricks: points gapped right, points not oxidized (clean them with a points file), pigtrail not open or shorted to ground, clean connections at the coil. Six volts to the coil with the key on? Good condensor? Standard checks of plugs and wires. ANy readon to believe someone messed with the timing?

Fuel: Good clean gas getting to the carb? Set up an gravity feed from a lawnmower tnak or something if you are not sure. Pump the throttle; does gas squirt out the accelerator jets? If not open the top of the carb and loof for corrosion inside. If yes, remove clean and replace - you can reuse the gaskets.

Cranking: Is it? Fast enough to kick? You getting spark? If yes, with a shot of ether, does it kick?

This motor like all of the others just require basic troubleshooting. Rule out or fix one thing at a tims and she will fire.

6. JalopyJenny

JalopyJenny
    from Seattle

Thanks for the reply. So far we have.......

Good solid cranking, good fuel, good points, good coil, good ground, not sure if we have spark at the plugs, this is next. Also next on the list, compression check, condensor, and static timing.

She wants to turn over, but wont! She will crank all day but no go! Someone may have fiddled with the timing a bit! Will know more tomorrow........

Thanks for all the good advice.

7. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Double check your firing order at the distributor cap. If they are even oe tower off the car will not fire. when I put my rebuild back together, that happened to me, I had the wires one off on the distributor. Also there are several distributors that were used that all look very much the same. However the depth of the casting for the bodies changes between series, and like wise the distributor cap.

So the cap and dist must match or the rotor does not align with the lugs inside.

also check the wire that runs between the coil terminal and the points inside the dist.
    these will some time break the strands inside the insulation afer years of flexing. Leaving only a couple strands to carry the current or a disconection. check also the insulation as if its worn, the wire can short against the dist body.

As you can see in the pic the 1st diz has lower body casting that the other two. It needs a taller cap. the locating notches are also different. So you need the cap that is correct for the distributor part number.

[​IMG]

8. Jenny, see that you have spark at the spark plug/plugs, and of course the firing order is correct as already stated. Remove the fuel line and see if gas is being pumped up from the tank to the carb while cranking. If she has been sitting chances are the diaphram in the pump might be deteriorated and it wont pump any more. Be sure you have fresh gas of course too. Dont just dump gas down the carb throat, good chance you will get a fire going, if so a extinguisher is best to have handy, or some good ol baking soda, next best IS to keep cranking and suck the flame back in to the carb. Yes it works. Try a little fresh gas down the vent tube of the carb, this should feed it into the float bowl, and not just down the intake. Pump the gas pedal a few times and see if your getting the accelorator pump to give a good shot of fuel. That could easily be deteriorated as is the fuel pump diaphram. If all else fails, as already mentioned, then a compression test, or leak down will tell you if the ol girl is capable of running at all. Best of luck. Oh yea, if the fuel pump is shot, you can always use gravity, and rig up a small can or bottle and hose and hang it from the hood, NOT directly over the carb, as long as its above the carb, should help get you fired up.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  9. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

OK, if you have spark at the points and they are not burning, then your condensor is good.

Disconnect plug wires and see if you are getting a spark.

If yes, when it cranks, does it slow down and then speed up in a rhythm? Or backfire thru the carb? If not, then your timing should be close enough for it to start. You can always advance the distributor a little bit to see if that helps - when you advance it too much the motor will kick back when cranking; if it is retarded too much it will crank easy but might not start.

Check compression while cranking. Squirt a little engine oil down each plug hole (just a little bit) in case the rings are not seating from years of disuse. The oil will give you enough of a seal to get it going.

You might have funkadelic wires. Swap in some from some other car. Even if you only swap a couple of cylinders - if it kicks, you are on the right track.

These motors sometimes got stuck (open) valves. If that is the case you will have no compression on those cylinders. Check by removing the lifter covers on the side under the maniflods. If you have a stuck valvle, position that cam lobe pointing down and then hit the valve stem with a penetrant, also levering the valve back down. You can use heat if needed.

You are almost there.

10. moparkevin

moparkevin

Good luck to you. I have the same motor, but in My Dodge.. I love the thing.. if I also could get it to run right..