Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 Dodge wayfarer

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Steve morgan, Oct 12, 2018.

?
  1. 49 Dodge

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 318 swap

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Steve morgan

Steve morgan

Hello seeking information on swapping in 318 and auto transmission into my 49 Dodge wayfarer. And is it possible to convert the 3 on tree to a auto shifter? my first project like this..

2. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi & welcome. Should be an easy swap but you may have to alter or change the tranny support crossmember and if you want the auto shifter to remain on the column you likely will have to use a more modern steering column. Or you could go to a floor swhifter such as one of the new Lokar models.
    I am almost done getting my newly purchased 50 Plymouth Deluxe 4 door ready for the road & hopefully will be driving it by the end of the week. I am keeping everything stock for now simply because that little flathead 6 engine is in great shape & just purrs. If I change anything it would likely be to pull that HUGE under hood heater out so I could install a vintage air unit. Only problem with that is nobody offers ready made compressor brackets for that model engine. Likely the same for yours. Good luck with you build and post photo's as work progresses.
    Jimmie

3. I hope those wheels in your avatar are a photoshop joke.:eek:

lothiandon1940 likes this.