Register now to get rid of these ads!

49-54Chev 3spd to PG swap; help with crossmember needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kaptain Kustom, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Kaptain Kustom

Kaptain Kustom
    from Finland

Edit: Thanks for moving the thread here!

Hi!

I'm working on a 1950 chevy. I'm swapping the original manual transmission for a Powerglide from a 1954 chevy car. I know I must change the crossmember of the car pretty much.

I just compared the transmissions, and noticed that the PG has two mating surfaces that can be bolted to the crossmember. One is similar to the one on the manual trans, but it's lower and further back. The other mounting point has its bolt holes farther apart from each other, and it's even more further back. I have a mount for the latter, it came with the trans. Was only this mount used? Was the smaller mount possibly used on the older cars with PG (50 - 52 maybe)? Would I be good with only the smaller mount?

Could someone post a picture of a crossmember of a Powerglide car?
    Thanks for any help!!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  2. Kaptain Kustom

Kaptain Kustom
    from Finland

I found some pictures that confirm, that the 50-52 PG used the frontmost mount (which is similar to the manual trans mount, but positioned differently) and the bigger rear mount was added in 53 models.

After giving it a long thought, I decided I'll use the rear mount. I think I can make mounting surface for it on the rear side of the crossmember using flat bar and square tube. I must bend the brake line differently, but it isn't so big of a deal.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I saw you thread yesterday and wanted to help...but...it was many, many years ago, around 1960, that I had a '51 Chevy Bel Hdtp with Powerglide. I eventually converted it to stick shift.

Because of the long time since, I only have fuzzy memories of the exact details. That said, I do seem to recall the Manual trans crossmember differed from the PG crossmember in my car, mostly has to fore/aft location, but with a plate of some sort, the mount was bolted in place. I do recall, accurately, that the manual trans I sourced was from a '53 Chevy and that might account for spacing differences in the mounting.

Most certainly, I think what you want to do is workable with minor mods.

Sorry I couldn't help more, but best wishes with your project.

Ray

4. The power glide should be roughly the same as a turbo/ hydromatic I used one from TCI and it worked out well

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!