Register now to get rid of these ads!

49-54 merc frame ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hubnut, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Ive been told that the frames were all the same from 49-54 but does anyone know for sure? If so what about the difference between 2dr and 4dr frames?

2. Wheelbase is the same for all three years, the frames should all be the same, except the ragtop - that should have a heavier center X brace in it.

3. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Way different. 54 went to balljoints, so the engine is midmounted, previous (flathead) are a front mount crossmember, so therefor the lower control arm mounts are different

53 I think was the first year (or maybe 52) of just perimeter frame, not the X anymore like 49-51.

Also, I dont know for sure, but I am pretty sure the track width got more narrow to share Ford components in 52-54. The 49-51 Merc rear is like 61" hub to hub, I have heard people using Granada rears in 54s and they fit well, if anything, tight. A Granada rear would have all the room in the world under an earlier Merc.

4. Thanks guys. An old timer buddy of mine told me that he thought the frames were the same but with the later chassis you had the benefit of the ball joints and such.

5. 49-51 same. 52-54 are nothing like the 49-51's.

6. What Bob said...

[​IMG]

7. There is a guy with a full frame from a '49 for sale right now, 2 hrs South of Chicago, just a couple hundo. PM Kenglish.