Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 49-54 chevy engine compartments....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SLAMIT, Dec 14, 2010.

1. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

So there are a few great threads out there about our favorite chevy's. but I would love to see some traditional and clean looking engine compartments. with six's or v8's. I have some great ideas for my Fleetline, but really want to see what is under the hood of all those beautifully tasteful customs that I can't get enough of.

What do you got????????

2. scottydc

scottydc
    from Waco TX

Bump Id like to see too, especially smoothed ones the less caulk the better.. lol

3. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Somebody's gotta have a pic of theirs. I love to see the different things guys come up with. from simple and to the point or full on detailed for contrast to the rest of the car. or how about an off whtie firewall and body color Engine like I want to do mine??????

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Here's my buddy Del's with a full house 235 that sounds like it could pull a stump out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dan31 likes this.

5. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

i'd like to see more on this one too!

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I might be starting on my '54 this week or soon there after and I'll probably go for that stock look albeit if stock had a V8 in it. I'm going for factory sheen on the firewall and frame, orange engine, oil bath all done very cleanly.

7. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

JefferyJames always comes to my rescue it seems and has rad pics of just what I am looking for. Seems we might think a bit a like and have similar interests.

That car looks amazing and I really like the engine compartment.

8. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Although I have plans for a fully traditional early chevy v8 in my fleetline and I already have the mounts welded in for a v8. I am putting an inline back in! Kinda recenter myself with my car and almost start from scratch. A real big deep scratch but fresh start none the less. makes me wish I wasnt such a Jack ass in the early years of owning my car. But now I will do it the way it should have always been done!!!!!!!

Keep the inspiration coming fella's

9. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

All I got so far, got to this point yesterday. Just primer so far.
    [​IMG]

10. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Wicked 50 Are you using a stock front end????? Is it gonna fit with the tubular engine mount???

11. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

No, the stock front end won't work with the tubular engine mount. I have a straight axle for mine.

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Thanks dude. The car I posted is my best bud Del's and we just started chopping it last Saturday. We did a mild 2" out of the A pillar witch added up to 2.75" vertically out of the front. It's a really nice mild chop that's going to fit the entire classy vibe going on through out the car. His engine bay was the first place he started really. He's go everything detailed in there from pinstriping things you'll never see to the interesting choice in the early stovebolt cover as opposed to the 235 one that came on that engine. The color is Wimbleton White and the frame and inner fenders are done Dupont single stage black. Same stuff I used on my engine bay in my '35.

I hear ya. I've went through all sorts of different ideas for my '54 from full out early custom with a chopped top and 51 quarters to a mild seaweed flamed watson style build with chrome steelies. Those ideas and 4 years have led me to my current plan which is bringing the car back to and original look with a slight 2" lowering job. I plan on running blackwalled tires and dog dish caps as well as pretty basic engine compartment. The only thing that's going to throw the build into the blender is the 400hp 283 sitting under the hood backed up by a M21 Muncie and a 9" out rear. :D:D:D:D

13. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Yeah I have always wanted my car to be a tire frier too. and had plans for a dressed out 350 to look like an early 283 we taked about that in another thread. I still have that vision but realistically this just makes sense for me right now. I will get the 235 and 3 speed in there and mount it on the v8 mounts. when I need to install the v8 I will find a 55-7 bellhousing and it should all line up and be nice and tidy and sorta stock lookin. I wanted the car to be a hotrod for so long but I always knew that I wanted it to be a custom as well. so I have now come to my senses and can see the end result of this car. and It will hopefully look like a time piece from the late 50's. Fingers are crossed.

What are you using for suspension in the rear????

14. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Oh no here we go again another straight axle car. I am starting to think that they came from the factory like that........ hope yours will been done up like a real gas car with all the right parts on it.

you have a good start!!!

15. gsport

gsport

16. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Gsport. thanks. I look there quite a bit and the content is great.

I am hoping to have sort of "The Mother of all" threads like JJ does but more for the 49-54 specifically. I just love detailed engine compartmentsand think they are as rad as the rest of the cars a lot of the times.

17. Kustomline54

Kustomline54

wow, that is one cool looking engine

18. WCRiot

WCRiot

Did u gut off those triangle sections that extended from the firewall into the engine bay?
    I'm curious as to how you removed those? I am planning to do the same thing, and I thought I had never seen it done before...

19. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Work in progress. '51 on a '50 frame, will be a daily driver for my 17 year-old son, hence the 4 disc brakes, MII, L98, 700r4, etc.

Sorry it doesn't exactly make the enclosed "engine compartment" list, but you can imagine it finished.

[​IMG]

20. teddyp

teddyp

here,s mine been driven over 25 yrs

Attached Files:

21. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Nothing fancy, just cleaned up and smoothed a bit, but not over the top...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

teddyp, I love your car. Beautiful!!:cool:

23. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

My old 54...smoothed a bit, mostly put the wiper motor uner the dash, and smoothed the heater/vent areas.

Attached Files:

24. geemann51

geemann51

Ahh you're still a jack ass...

25. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Yes, I cut them off. I did the same to my 53. I used a cutoff wheel for most of it and chisled/grind the spot welds.
    [​IMG]

26. IL GIMMI

IL GIMMI

I just got a boner from that pic Jeffrey James posted of the 235 with the McGurk intake, pretty rare. I just came up on a cool Nicson for my 235. Very, very, delicious!!!

27. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Funny thing is that my buddy Del has two of those McGurk intakes! I had a Nicson at one time a few years ago. It was a side draft intake that predated the corvette unit. I thought it was pretty rad but I thought the money I got for it was even better since I didn't have a straight six hahah!!!! Let us see that Nicson!

28. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Some great ideas here. Mine was built as a custom back in the early 90's and it's all smoothed, frenched, dechromed, etc..... so I think it needs to keep the custom look/feel to it. I'm working on an getting an Olds 394 from a local guy to put in it, so now is the perfect time for engine compartment ideas! Awesome thread! My engine/trans are out, and I'm ready to start working on the engine bay. Keep those pics coming!

29. teddyp

teddyp

that was a great car you drove it almost as much has the olds

30. teddyp

teddyp

thanks i,ve had it so long it,s a part of me