Register now to get rid of these ads!

49-54 Chev tilt column mated to original box?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Snegrah, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Anyone install a tilt column to the stock steering box? Would like not to take the stock box out of the car.

Thanks.
    Tom

2. I cut my stock column 3 inches from the box carefully ground two oposing flat spots on the round shaft and installed the new column with a double d universal joint

3. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

Yep I did the same thing as NoName. Take your time, make sure you measure correctly and have at it.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And drill it and pin it when you get it fitted up.
    I'd also suggest taking the box and column out of the car and laying it and the tilt side by side on the bench and then figuring out where you want to cut the original column and shaft off to make things fit up.

5. NONAME & WildWilly...this is kinda' what I did many years ago on a 54 before aftermarket columns were available. I didn't remember until you chimed in. I don't think I ground flat spots. Just slipped a larger diameter tube over the existing and drilled through it and bolt n' nutted it. I didn't feel it was entirely "the way to go". But hell, I was WAY younger then. What I remember being concerned about then and now is, when you cut the metal tube, where does the shavings go? Down into the tube and then???? If that is nothing to be concerned with, I'm finding my sawsall and right after you tell me what lenght aftermarket column to get....I'm doin' it.

Mr. 48chev...like I said, I really don't want to take the box out of the car and if I cut it "where ever" can't I just make up the difference in the double D shaft?

Thanks fellas!

6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The shaft is solid, not hollow, so the shavings are'nt really going to go anywhere. Rag joint the thing and you won't have to be quite as precise with your alignment. Butch/56sedandelivery.

7. John Denich

John Denich

I have a box I modified to work with a tilt for sale in the classifieds! It worked great with an Ididit and a Camaro column! hit me up for some pics!

8. If you don't want to spend big money for a U-joint, use an intermediate shaft from a late Chevy van. 2 U-joints with bolt-on D connectors at each end, a little grinding and they should work fine.

9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Add one more to that. I've done it also but with one exception. I used a borgasen coupler not a u-joint.

10. 73super

73super

Could somebody show some pics of this please?