Register now to get rid of these ads!

49-54 chev brakes on a ford axle, yes. But why not 41-48 chev spindles?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by briggs&strattonChev, Jan 12, 2006.

1. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

Howdy, I have read it is a common and fairly easier swap (albeit with some reaming and machining) to put 49-54 chevy spindles on a 28-48 ford axles. I got to thinking about this, and I remember that I put 50 chevy brakes (everything outside the backing plate, if I remember correctly, most importantly the drums) on my 46 chevy spindles because the 46 had 6 lug rims and I wanted 5 lug (which 49-54s have).

fast forward about 3 years and the 46 is now subframed, but I still have the old clip with the 46 chevy spindles and backing plates, and 50 chevy brakes/drums. Are the 46 (probably 41-48) spindles different than the 49-54s? Is there a reason that would make it harder to adapt the 46 chevy spindles to a ford axle, instead of the 49-54s? In other words, would it be harder to adapt the 46 chev spindles than the 49-54s?

I am just wondering which would be the easier (perhaps wiser and safer?) way of doing this, since I already have the 46s to work with.

Some of you will think to yourself "well, anything is possible with the right ideas and skills" I realize this, but it still doesnt answer the question. I mention this, because the last time I asked a person about it, thats the answer I got.

So anyway, any of you ever put 41-48 chevy spindles on a ford axle, or know how to do it? Know any reasons why I SHOULDNT do it, or why it couldnt be done without more work than its worth?

Any help or leads are very much appreciated.

Chris

2. JohnnyB327

JohnnyB327

I'd like to find out if it's possible too bttt

3. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

The included (kingpin angle) is wrong. The Ford and Chevy are about 3 degrees different, plus the pin size on the Chevy is bigger.:eek:

4. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

thanks for the info

ive heard that the chevy pin is bigger, so the ford axle has to be reamed, but I didnt know about the angle difference. Is this angle difference the same on the 49-54 setup? If so, how is it corrected?

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

There is a lot of info on Chevy spindle/Ford axle swapping in the huge old Rod Action brake article that is now somewhere in the tech section.

6. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

back to his original question. why would you want to use the 49/54 stuff instead of the ford...... did the chevy stuff stop better, easier to find ?? just so you could have a chevy pattern?

must had been a reason why folks did the swap

7. 50-54 Chevy were self energizing "Bendix" type binders. Wayyyy better than the older style "Huck" binders. That's what I'm gonna aim for for the bucket.

Maybe the used em cause they were the "hot setup" when they were new, kinda like disc swaps are now? I dunno, I'm only 30.

Jay

8. old spoke

old spoke

The king pin angle is way off. I think you would end up with the top of your tires about 3 inches wider then the bottom. I learned the hard way and maybe have a photo around somewhere. old spoke