Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 49-54 airbagged chevy - anyone using 2 pc driveshaft

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boones, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

As the title noted, anyone running a 2 piece driveshaft in your airbagged rides. I am debating on whether to just use a 1 piece and build a tall (and long) driveshaft tunnel or go with a 2 piece unit and only raise the rear section of the driveshaft (under the rear seat).

My wagon project has a large step notch and 4 link. I have cut some of the tunnel out but stopped at the first braces until I can decide.

[​IMG]

2. deeddude

deeddude

I used a one piece driveshaft from a crown Vic police car. It’s a little long, but works fine.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I raised the tunnel using 5” exhaust tubing split and some strips of sheet metal, it would have been easier with a slip roll. The supports were raised with 1/8” x 2” flat bar welded to the existing loop sides that I cut the center “bump” out of.
    [​IMG]

I also used the exhaust tubing to cover the third link.

[​IMG]

3. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I opted for a two piece in my 54 Buick because I didn't want to cut that much.

4. oldsman41

oldsman41

friend of mine did a 2pc in his 51 chev it seems to work real nice

5. chevrolayd

chevrolayd

I did a single drive shaft and moved my tunnel up 2.5 inches in the back and stock in the front so it tapers. Modified the rear seat in the middle and its still a full rear stock looking seat. Im running a sbc, 57 chev trans and rearend. The only other thing you might want to do is remove the inner fenders the tire will hit the top before you lay out. I had to do that with a 28 inch tall tire.made my own tubs to replace them.

sent via my black box

6. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

thanks for the input so far. For those that did go with a 2 piece, where did you decide to make the split

(Chevrolayd, I do plan to build new inner fenders).

7. contact the guys at jiminez Bros Customs. they do a 2 piece with the 2 link they put out.