Register now to get rid of these ads!

49-52 GM dropped spindles for cheap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NONAME, Jun 30, 2010.

1. I bought a pair of 54 Chev uprights, spindles, backing plate and drums for 20 bucks ( I know, I should have haggled a bit more) had them laying under the bench for a couple years. just installed them yesterday with new shorter springs,
    I don't know why anyone would buy welded dropped uprights for these years

49-52 on the left 53-54 on the right is good for a hair under 2 inch drop. Cheaper and easy to find.
    these are now on my GMC in the avatar. total drop is now over 10 inches and I'm in it 20 bucks. I'll probably up grade to disc brakes in the next 10 years, for now the 54 has better brakes than the 49 did.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  2. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

what springs did you use?

3. good question. I just re-read my post. ten inches with spindles and springs would be a good trick.
    54 GMC swapped the stock axle for a 49 chev passenger car suspension. that gave me 7 inch drop. the 54 uprights were good for 2 and the 57 corvette springs gave me 1 more.
    the suspension and springs were free and 20 bucks for 54 parts.
    there now, that sounds a little better.:rolleyes:

4. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

I see... I cut 2 coils out of my springs in my 50...also put a 394 olds in it...now I am thinking I might need to try 1 coil, maybe 1.5...luckily I have some more 49-54 coils laying around...vette-lol-no
    here is a post I did on CT about using vette springs...
    http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/224602/post/1760881/hl//fromsearch/1/
    the answers were inconclusive to me, and then it got waaaay off topic (that seems to happen to alot of my posts over there-haha), but there was some other good info posted about using vette parts.

5. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

NONAME; Interesting set-up on your GMC, how did you hook up your steering?

I want to stay old-school on my '53 and am running a dropped axle and mono's but I like the idea of an early Chev IFS. Is this pretty much a bolt-in swap?

6. Truck box was outside the frame, car inside. I dug thru my scrap pile and found a ford ranger box (there has to be better options) that works fine. I had to build a set of headers to clear it.

A 54 GMC with the Cad engine, ElDorado tri-power hooked to a grannie geared 4 speed. a narrowed 58 Edsel rear end. Chopped, sectioned, channeled, and extended cab. utility boxes. 52 DeSoto front Bumper, 52 Ford pu front bumper in the rear. 54 Stude head light bezels. 60 Dodge Tail lights and a bunch of smaller parts and pieces all over the place. I don't think I'll run into another quite like it. all parts including the truck and I'm still under $1400.00 total out of pocket cash.
    Now I'm a Whoarder and a pack rat with alot of friends in the Business. so don't try this at home I'm a professional lol

Attached Files: