Register now to get rid of these ads!

49-51 Mercury web site.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bounder, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Bounder

Bounder

Just wondering if there is a site somewhere that is just for 49-51 mercurys? Not being snobby but sure would make finding stuff easier. Might learn how to do stuff, too. And I am in the HAMB Mercury club.
    Just crawled out from under my rock and found the Ford Barn, something like this is what I would like to find.

2. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Plenty of 49-51 Merc stuff here if you use the search function.

In my signature there's a link to the Mercury Reproductions Parts List.

3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

4. Bounder

Bounder

Thanks, just lookin for something like the Ford Barn. And there is a bunch of information on here. Has helped a lot. Like to see some pictures of where to put the tube type universal motor mounts to install a 351 in my 50. Saying it and seeing it are to different things. Thanks again.

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I am not clear as to what "tube type universal motor mounts" look like but I bet if you post a photo of them here, someone will be able to help you. Besides, I would like to see what they look like.

6. Bounder

Bounder

It's made by Trans-Dapt and is sold by Jegs. Bolts to the frame, been a machinist 40 years and can't weld. Go figure.

7. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

lots of good info on here, and lots of merc guys willing to help with questions..

8. I know the tube type mount your talking about. In your stock frame I do believe it will interfere with the tie rods. In fact I know it will. Also you will need to run a Van pan as well as do some work on the frame for that one to fit. You may also find the 351 fuel pump brings an issue. Is this the kind of Info your looking for?
    The Wizzard

9. Bounder

Bounder

You got it! I have a rear sump oil pan and a electric fuel pump. Seems like Butch's had a different type motor mount, may have to check into that. Seems like nothing is easy like it was 50 years ago when I was a kid, and could get under the dash of a car. Just get under the car for that matter.
    Big thanks to everyone.

10. lincolnlog

lincolnlog
    from Arizona

Surely, a merc can't be that difficult!

11. Bounder

Bounder

Sometimes how hard something is to do has a lot with how mechanical one is. Being 70 years old and haven't swapped a engine in 30 years makes a difference. And then that was bolt for bolt. Maybe it's like riding a bicycle, maybe not. I'll see, this thing doesn't have me whipped, yet!

12. What I've learned about Today's Kits is that you are only going to get 1/2 way there with any of them. I know you say your not a welder but I bet you know one. "IF" I were doing your project I would hand build stands off the frame rail to the stock Ford 351 rubber mounts. Done them several times and have learned it's my best outcome. Now that's coming from a close to 70 year old Welder Fabricator Car builder. Kit's just seem to not be the 100% answer.
    The Wizzard

13. Bounder

Bounder

I've been looking and thinking about this motor mount. Usually the thinking part gets me in trouble. Why couldn't you cut the tube that runs under the motor off? That is after you weld the rest of it to the frame. Doesn't look like it does any thing but get in the way.

14. It needs a support. That's why it's a tube from side to side If you build a > from top of frame rail to bottom of rail with a tube for the through bolt on the mount it will do the same thing,,, or close enough.
    The Wizzard

15. Bounder

Bounder

I guess after looking again at this thing you are correct. It would just be sticking out there with no support across the middle. Well DUH!! What was I thinking. What you suggested is probably the best and easiest way to go. Thanks for getting me back on track. And Thanks for responding, folks are pretty good on here at responding and it really helps.

16. Wish I had some Merc mounts to show ya. Here are 2 just to use as Food for Thought. A similuar version could also be done in your project. These are in a F-100 that got a 351-C motor. I couldn't go the frame rail on the Driver side due to the steering box. The horse shoe piece in the center between the stands is the gusset. There are several different ways to get the job done.
    The Wizzard

Attached Files: