Register now to get rid of these ads!

49-51 Merc frame swap???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -, Oct 23, 2004.

1. I checked the TechOmatic for 49-51 frame swap info and couldn't find any. There is a 60's Pontiac frame that fits under Mercs easily. What year frames work and has anybody done it?
    Clark

2. clarkie...this is what I have..

got it off of here a while ago.

tok

The really terrific frame/suspension update is possible when a complete late model chassis is used. This got started a number of years ago when Dick Dean started making the full swaps in his southern California shop.
    Dean prefers to use the mid-size Olds chassis of the late 1960s/early 1970s. These chassis have a 118-inch wheelbase (as do the 1969-73 Pontiac Grand Prix), which is exactly what the
    1949-later Mercury has. But Dean goes everyone a step better. While it is possible to just drop the Mercury body onto the bare GM chassis, Dean cuts out the original Mercury flooring and much of the Mercury firewall. The GM floor is cut from the donor body and the GM firewall is trimmed around the perimeter, leaving the steering and brake pedal assembly in place. In essence, only the wiring that is fastened to the GM fender splash apron is removed and laid over on the GM engine. Even the seats and gas tank of the GM unit are left in place.
    The bottomless Mercury body is lowered in place and the Mere rear fenders aligned with the GM wheels. This places the firewall in almost exact original Mercury position, so the firewall is trimmed to allow the body to set down on the GM flooring. When everything is aligned, the Mercury body is welded to the GM floor, and the trimmed GM firewall is welded to the Mercury body. Instant swap. The frame horns must be modified to accept the Mercury bumper (or whatever bumper is to be used, and the radiator core support is welded to the crossmember. Mercury splash panels are trimmed to clear the GM suspension.
    This frame swap can be accomplished very rapidly, and the results are very gratifying, especially since the late GM seats can be used, as well as the entire steering assembly and brake assembly. Even the full wiring harness all the firewall can be modified to fit the early dash. With some careful trimming and fitting, the late GM heater/air conditioner will fit under the dash.
    Obviously, the same kind of frame/flooring swap can be done on other cars, the key is to match wheelbases. This swap is especially appealing to someone with an early body that has the flooring rusted badly. Such was Paul Beckstrand of Wildwood, N.J. Paul had a 1950 Mercury with a very rough body in the flooring area. Badly rusted, it was a perfect candidate for a frame/floor swap.
    The wheelbase on the Mercury is 118-inches, which is the same as an Oldsmobile 98 Regency (1977 model) four door and a Buick Park Avenue. Paul hung the body in the air with a couple of Come-A-Longs, suspended over the Old chassis and floor pan. Working from the rear wheel location, he trimmed the Olds floor and Mercury floor sheet metal a bit at a time, trying the fit, until he had the body channeled 4 inches below the Olds flooring. Paul did all the work alone, and reports it wasn't difficult. Only required a lot of patience. He does report that since the Olds tread width is slightly greater than the Mercury, the channel may cause slight wheel/tire interference. Solution to this will be a positive offset wheel.

3. You can do that swap on 49-52 GM's too - Buick Electra for the Pontiac, Chevy Impala for the Chevy, I'd have to look up the wheelbase but the Olds will probably work on the Buick too - one of them is 119" or 119.5" - I can live with 1/2" difference. The Chevy is 115" right along.

If you do it with yours, weld some braces across the body at the doors and an X diagonal from front of door to rear seat.. maybe an X across the trunk too. You don't want the thing to warp with the stock pans cut out of it. Which, if the rockers are weak or missing is very possible.

One mistake I have noted on my Chevy swap was to not use the Buick wheelhouses (it also got a Pontiac nose swapped on to match the chassis) - the Chevy ones are too low with the body sectioned down onto the chassis trying to make it look good. It would have been some more work to cut it out to accept the Buick ones, but I think it would have been worth the effort.

4. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

You can check mine out, just click the link at the bottom of this post- I'm using a 1987 Lincoln Town car under my '51. LOTS of work.

PM LEFTURN, he uses late model GM Chassis'

MERCMAN

Attached Files:

5. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I think if your swapping with a 30 year old pontiac frame your defeating the whole point. [​IMG] I mean, you still have old suspension your gonna have to rebuild, plus all the problems. Seems like more trouble than its worth. Try to find something a little newer (at least in the 80's). I'd stick with the stock frame and redo it myself. I know if I was looking at one for sale, I'd stay away from anything with a frame swap. [​IMG]

6. jambottle

jambottle

the frame and suspenision out of a 1970 to 1972 pontiac lemans 4 door only
    is a direct swap for the merc frame and suspension.the body bolts even fit
    without modification.i have the article out of custom rodder of a few years back.
    i could send you a copy of it if your interested.the advantage is you get to use
    a modern eng trans and rear end and cooling etc.
    chris

7. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

I have a 78 Olds Delta 88 frame and floor under my 50 Merc coupe.It really wasnt that bad but I did have to add 2 inches to the frame and floor because the Merc is 118 inches and the Olds(and any other B body GM) is 116 inches.I also channeled the body 4 inches(way too much for me,Im6'1 and fat)It makes it really hard to get in and out with the 4inch channel and the 4.5 inch chop.I would not do a frame/floor swap again.

Attached Files:

8. I have done 7 swaps of these. 49-51 mercs fit on 77-84 olds regency98 or buick park ave. this is what is used for the easest swap. give me a call and i can explain it directly to you.
    780-459-4320---ray
    check pictures out on my web site
    www.koolkustom.com

9. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

Here is the graft to the Merc firewall.

Attached Files:

10. the Lemans will"fit" as dick dean said but what he didnt say was the rear wheels are off in behind the skirts!its too short.Mercman 51s lincoln swap looks the best to me of all the ones Ive looked at.

11. rusty210

rusty210

I've been thinking about doing this with my 54 Chevy. The floors and trunk are gone, and the frame and suspension are rusty. I think a frame and floor swap would make more sense than trying to repair what's there. Any reccomendations on what to use for a donor?