Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 48 Ford conv from swiss junkyard

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adventurer, Oct 24, 2009.

1. devilscustom

devilscustom
    from Sweden

Very nice to see somebody rescue this one keep it up and good luck

2. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I wish you well on that project and if I were in the same situation I would try to find a sedan or coupe body to get all the floors from but that might be hard to do where you live,was it the only 41 to 48 in that junkyard.

3. draggin breath

draggin breath

Love the ragtop;BUT what in the world is the frame it is hanging from and how does it work?

4. adventurer

adventurer

Dragging, you mean the framework to raise the car and move onto the trailer? It was made by the junk yard crew to move the cars without incidents, as space was very tight. You fasten the car with some steel cables, and the crane raises it and the car. Very clever

5. gasheat

gasheat
    from Dallas

Italians must be tough.

6. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

That's an awesome project and I love the look your going for, Thanks for saving it and not passing on it like so many do.

7. side_valve

side_valve
    Alliance Vendor

Very fun project, keep us updated!

8. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

cool project good save! lots of luck

9. being your building a custom you may as well build your own floors. if they do make rockers do lots of homework on fit because there is people selling junk out there and will take your money without guilt. www.metalmeet.com is the place to get info on repairing the floors and rockers. good luck and really a worthy project!

10. billygoat67

billygoat67

nice ride
    car don't look any worse the alot of stuff in iowa. some guys are just lucky to live in dry states with no rust. if you were in the usa you would have it made because there are alot of aftermarket parts avail for these fords.
    i don't know how much shipping would be but mac's ford parts has decent aftermarket parts, just bought a lot to finish a 48 ford everything even the interior kit was nice.

11. t-vicky

t-vicky
    from Kansas

Since the floors are gone anyway why not just channel it over the frame before you build floors? Make it sit as low as you want.

12. adventurer

adventurer

I gave a thought to channelling over the frame, but doing on a full size car seems very strange, and somehow I am afraid I will lose space on the inside, considering the chop I have in mind. Wife and small daughter don't ride too well in my 39 coupe, so had to get a larger size car.
    Another consideration is that on early magazines I have seen very few channelled full size cars, so I am afraid it was not very popular at the time. Probably nobody had to deal with complete lack of floors at the time.....

13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

It looks like it could of came out of a junkyard here in Ohio and was looking at some in the same shape yesterday.

14. Very nice car Adventurer

My 39 Mercury coupe came from Denmark and was stored inside for at least 25 years but the frame on your car is a lot better than mine.

15. adventurer

adventurer

Don't think weather in Ohio and Switzerland is different....lot of rain and snow..As for the frame, its perfect shape is a mistery to me.....even oil pan on the engine is rusted out....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  16. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

Nice project.

17. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I can't wait to see the progress on your 48. It takes a lot of talent and ambition to build a car that has been neglected that long. Keep us updated !

Doug

18. fitzee

fitzee

Keep us posted on this. I enjoy builds on cars that some might think as too ruff to do.keep up the good work.

19. adventurer

adventurer

Work will be slow as all parts have to be sourced from the USA and try to get quite a few together so that can save on shipping costs. Now am waiting for two fenders, the floors and rockers to arrive. WIll try to work on two other fenders and hood now.

20. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

To drop the rear of that vehicle I'd "C" notch the frame! Very traditional, and not all that tough to do, given there is no floor to work around.

I wouldn't waste my time trying to find floors from a doner in Italia, taxes and shipping would be a killer! There arn't many really hard to build pieces in a '46-'48 Ford floor panel. Anyone with basic sheetmetal fab skills "should" be able to build these with alittle shop equipment.

It looks as though you've discovered that most old Ford sheetmetal can be straightened, given how thick and well built they were by today's standards.

Looks like another great kustom is about to be reborn!

Swanky Devils C.C.
    " Humpty Dumpty was pushed!"

21. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have seen valve covers rust out in some of the cars in the junkyards around here and they are far from being on the ground.

22. Mart

Mart

Good luck with it.
    I'll be interested to see the progress.
    Do you know of a source for the parts you need, or will most have to come from the USA?
    I suppose if parts can be sourced within the EU then duty isn't an issue.
    It might be helpful if you could make a list of things you need and if anything turns up people could let you know.
    Mart.

23. adventurer

adventurer

What I need can be clearly seen.....everything....
    No, will get everything from the US. I import cars and spares for a living, so this is not a problem. If an item is too large, will send by container along with a car.

24. koolkemp

koolkemp

Just curious if you have started to work on this car yet??

25. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

Looks like your already making good progress. I've seen worse turned into drivers. I bet its gonna be great. Keep posting pictures as you go.

26. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

i was too it must be hard just getting parts

27. lakes modified

lakes modified
    Member Emeritus

Damn, it looks like my 42 merc convert when I started on it. I put a 46 ford 2dr sedan floor & rocker boxes in it, but have chopped the top 3" & doing a late 40's or early 50's style custom with a punched 303 olds & all pre 55 stuff in & on it. Good luck with it.

28. davis574ord

davis574ord

Lotta work good luck dude!

29. koolkemp

koolkemp

Gotta see some pics of this!Sounds nice.

30. adventurer

adventurer

Yes, work is progressing slowly. Car is completely apart, frame is sandblasted and have received new suspension parts from Posies. Now will start work on the frame. Have purchased some rustfree fenders (the ones I had were paper thin after being sandbasted) and will have to work hard on the hood, lots of pinholes.
    Now I am in bed with a bad flou, will make some pics tomorrow