Register now to get rid of these ads!

48 chevy rear axle, worth using?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by altraditional, Dec 23, 2008.

1. altraditional

altraditional
    from Estland

Is it a good axle, in terms of longevity mostly? I am thinking of using it under the model A truck, not much HP. Is it a good idea, what might be the problems?

2. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Good luck to getting that torque tube connected to whatever you're building unless it's a Chev three speed.

3. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

This is a highly recommended swap - for your worst enemy. Let go of that rear end (har har har) and find something without a torque tube. Perhaps something that there are some parts available for any modifications or repairs.

dj

4. altraditional

altraditional
    from Estland

Um, right. There is that tube.

But how does it change the case? There is some U-joint mount in it, isn't there? Why can't I put simple driveshaft in there?

5. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

The construction of a Chevy torque tube/rearend defies description. The best way to answer this is refer you to an old MoToRs Manual or Chevy shop manual. That rearend was never meant to function without the torque tube. A Ford, on the other hand, can be converted readily- given the right parts.

6. Most torque tubes have a ball and trunion sort of thing at the trans end, there is no joint on the differential end. I've seen Ford rears shortened down to nothing and used on doodlebugs, but never a Chev done the same way.

For what I can buy a rearend for drum to drum at a you-pull-it yard, it's not worth the hassle really.

7. rusty48

rusty48

I've never really worked on a torque tube other than takeing them out to replace with something else,but I think if you take or cut that tube off theirs nothing to keep the grease in.I would definatly use something else.

8. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Rear axles from ANYTHING are 40 bucks at the local pick your part yard. An S-10 4x4 fits under an A perfectly. Don't even think about using that torque tube rear you evidently have, it's not going to work under anything but an old Chevvy.

9. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

Not recommended, one of the reasons Fords, were popular was interchangability of parts. The chevy torq tube won,t be an easy thing to interchange to a model A. The stock a rear end will handle enough power give you drivability but mebbe not for the drags. Later torq tube ford rr ends can be adapted or go to an open drive setup, and you can get many different rr ends and gear ratios.

10. Unless you're going for a bone-stock build, sell it if its in good condition, which will probably cover the whole cost of a swap to something more user friendly and reliable.

Bob

11. Snarl

Snarl

You didn't say if this is from a '48 car or truck, but either way, i would think it's too long for a Model A application.
    Second, either way, it's got 4:11 gearing.
    Third, is what is the spline count on the tranny? is it the same as the Chevy? I doubt it...
    Fourth its 6 lugs, if that's an issue for you...

'47-54 truck TT rearends can be converted to open drive buy using a 55-62ish truck center section. Replace the spring perches, or weld up the stock ones so they can't rotate, and your done. Most of these have a 3:90 ratio, but 3:36 gears are also available from Patrick's and elsewhere...

12. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I replaced the rear end in my 47 Chev with a 55 Chev rear end, and thought that this was a great way to go; until I had to replace an axle bearing. A Ford 8" or 9" rear end axle bearing cost about 1/3 the price of the older Chev bearing. Sometimes the part is almost free, but it will cost you a lot more in the long run.

13. Gearstix

Gearstix

If I remember right the Ford 8.8 rear end is the same width as a 4x4 S10 rear. You can get them in different gear ratios and with posi.
    And with drums or discs.

14. Snarl

Snarl

This is why I tell people to use the '57-64 version instead of the '55-56 ones.