Register now to get rid of these ads!

475,000 and the Blastolene

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pan-dragger, Jan 19, 2008.

1. junkmonger

junkmonger

I think it's a little flamboyant for my taste, but at least some of the money guys are supporting us hard-working fabricator types. Definitely a gap between the quality of the Duesenberg and that of the Blastolene. Here's hoping that the gold chainers' taste improves over time, and the Blastolene boys' craftsmanship does as well.:rolleyes:

2. Fast Fords

Fast Fords
    from MN

Sure it seems like a pile of cash. Give it 20 years, You'll wish you would have been able to buy it. It'll go for a bigger pile.

I like the looks of the car. Ya, they could have finished the underside better.

I bet there isn't very many of you guys that don't wish you bought a few new (insert car name here) years ago and could be selling them now.

Is Pratte just hording all his cars or are they ever going to be in a public museum???

3. Fast Fords

Fast Fords
    from MN

The historical significance will come. Give it time!

4. T-Bone

T-Bone

If that car had been built in 1957 instead of 2007 you naysayers would be fapping yourselves to death...

5. i thought it looked like the ace and gary penis-car from the snl cartoon.

6. Ratty55

Ratty55
    from Frohna,MO

I'm not a huge fan of the blastoline brothers taste either. Their creativity and craftsmanship is awsome though. Using tank engines and allison transmissions, everything they build is bigger than life. It's just not my cup of tea. Did you guys see the engine in that black thing? Very rare factory GMC v-12 like this one.
    67-72 (20).JPG
    Here's a pic of the actual build-up
    B-702-d.jpg

7. Did anyone notice it has 2 GMC V-6's?? Kinda strange I thought.

**Edit** I stand corrected, a factory V-12. What were these engines intended for?

8. The factory V12 was two V6s bolted together.

9. That V-12 engine was built for use in 2 1/2-ton trucks. Many of them also appeared as irrigation engines across the Texas High Plains.

In fact, your best bet for finding one is some old farmer's barn in West Texas. Some of those guys keep their old engines forever; that's how I came up with '59, '62, and '65 Pontiac 389 engines.

10. Ratty55

Ratty55
    from Frohna,MO

I will have to disagree with you there. It was a one piece block.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. fuzzface

fuzzface

These engines are in some of the airport fire resue units.

12. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to contradict, but you aren't exactly right. Actually, you are wrong. The block is a single casting, not 2 V6's bolted together. Look at the pictures carefully, you'll not see any bolts.....

http://www.6066gmcguy.org/TwinSix.htm

13. And I wonder if the gas tank leaks?;)

14. henry29

henry29

HA, LMAO
    "Are you questioning my welding abilities?" :rolleyes:

15. Retroline

Retroline

Oh Oh, Time for a pow wow!:D

16. McKee

McKee

Who's Ron Pratte?

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

I hope that was a builder buy back, you couldn't come close to building it for that money. I watched the auction Saturday & Sunday and played the Fantasy Bid game, got as close as $5,000. on one car the '35 Buick Convertable Sedan Street Rod. Prices looked down this year and I noticed two high roller bidders from the past years weren't there. Fun to watch, but it has no effect on the stuff I like. The only car in the lot that cought my eye was the Orange '50 Merc Tony Stewart won.

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of the founding members of the more money than brains club.

I have to agree that for that price the chassis and bottom side of the car should be as nice or nicer than the body.
    I'll join the "I don't like the grill". club even though I can see why it was shaped that way.
    I also thought that the over the counter gages left something to be desired and the upholstery didn't seem up to the bodywork.
    The good thing is that we get to see what they come up with next and that hopefully will have what this one is missing.
    As a side note, Jay Leno and his crew took the first one down to the bare frame and redid the whole thing to make a car out of it.

19. I thought it was cheap until the B-J bastards told me they wouldn't take my Monopoly money!

20. 50ford

50ford
    from enid

Ok I see a lot of great fabricatores on the HAMB but stop and think man... A 1970 hemi cuda vert goes for a million, when they barely sold when new cause everybody thought they were ugly. The Blastolene goes for less than half and it truly is a one of a kind. I do not get it. Oh well, I gotta go try an get my 61 y/o f/h 6 unstuck .

21. crapshoot

crapshoot

the front of the car isn't as bad as the rear that boat tail was waaaaaay to long for any driveway. they have some nice skills with the hammer and e-wheel for sure though.

22. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is only one redeeming feature on that car, the work that went into it. Other than that it is FUCKING UGLY and wildly over priced for something that is only half arsed in under pinnings work. That grille is UGLY, the wheel fairings are stupidly over stated and its a great impersonation of a gaudy 80s 'too much money, no taste' type of car.
    Yup, give me a Dusey, Cord or even an Edsel over that ugly fucker any day.
    Whats that line from Christine?
    Great hands, bad taste in cars.

23. fuzzface

fuzzface

He is a multimillionaire that made his money in the housing and building trade and other investments.

He brought at least 6 cars there this year that I saw. the Beverly Hillbilly truck($125,000), Blastolene, Carrol Shelby Gt500 convertible($675,000), Home Depot charity car ($300,000 with a $100,000 bonus thrown in afterwards), the ford charity car for children diabetes, and some other ford shelby car that I can't remember sure what it was.

He spent over $10,000,000 last year there( might have been the year before). He is a big collector of Carrol Shelby items including the supersnake($5,000,000).

He's a private guy that doesn't like interviews but he will donate to bigger charities. To bad, so far his collection is private but I did hear talk of museum some day. That might be just a rumor going around thou, haven't heard it from a good reliable source yet.

My take on the Blastolene, is I like it except the glass front.I thought it would have brought a little more but then I thought that robosaurus should have brought more too.

24. Kool Kat

Kool Kat

According to the website the first car they built Goldberg bought. The second was Jay leno's tank car that I think he paid $150K for but the car had numerous mechanical problems that Jay fixed of course.

You can make this car more famous in time and then it will have history.

25. C-1-PW

C-1-PW

I think its a cool design for what it is . . . well done. All it needs is some road grime, and bugs in that shiny grill and it would be one proud machine.

26. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I think that is their best one yet. Cool design.

27. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

28. bigolds

bigolds

I didn't even read through this thread yet.... My answer is yes!!!! I can't beleive that this car sold for less than those production car opportunities. A beautiful, hand built, driving piece of art work. Arguably one of the most beautiful scuptures to come out of any shop anywhere!!!!....That should have sold for twice (or more). Hell, I don't think that this covered even part of the labor he had in it!!!!!

Yeah, I know we aren't supposed to be in it for the money, But let's be reasonable!!!!

I'm gonna go and read the rest of the thread now!!!!

29. White Monster

White Monster

I'd rather have the $475K than the car.
    ... sorry.

30. Zerk

Zerk

It's a nice sculpture. I wonder what it can do? Anybody else want to take it to Pike's Peak?