Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 472 Cadillac in '41-'48 fat-fender Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ne'erdowell, Oct 6, 2015.

1. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

Hi, does anyone have experience putting a 472 (or 500) and Turbo 400 into a fat fender Ford? I'm concerned about the transmission and center crossmember. I know the oil filter is an oddball but there are adapters to re-position it. Please share trouble spots and how you dealt with it. Thanks, Dave

2. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

Wow that's a wide engine for a narrow space. I have one in my 53 chev truck. But I did a later one ton frame swap. The steering shaft in the stock location would exit the cab right behind the left head, and the 46 has a similar width. I'm using a steer clear chain drive to fix that. My 46 coupe has a 350 sbc, and that fits pretty tight. The caddy is quite a bit wider and longer, I can get you the two measurements if you need. Weight is actually fairly close to a small block. The front distributor will mean the firewall will be ok. But you may need to open up around the bell housing. The stock inner fenders will not fit. You likely will need to pull the rad forward and probably an electric push fan. There are two different lengths of tail shafts on the BOP turbo 400, one is excessively long and would be really hard to use in a fat ford, so find a short one. You definitely will need to build at least a new tunnel. There are oil pan swaps available if you have a cross member conflict. I have always said that determination and patience will enable you to do anything. Good luck!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. 73RR

73RR

Sounds like an interesting swap and you get extra points for daring to be 'different'.
    Are you planning a photo journal of the work?

4. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

Right now it's in the "that might be awesome" phase.

5. the lights

the lights

I am putting one in my 49, and the frame clearance is a concern. If you have a front sump oil pan that could also be an issue. You can find rear sump pans, but you need the longer pickup tube to go with it. Also routing the exhaust is going to be tricky, but everything can be overcome. I say go for it.