Register now to get rid of these ads!

47 International PU what make of rear end

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by j-jock, Dec 22, 2010.

1. I have been searching everywhere and can't find out who made the 1/2 ton rear end for the 47 International, or did they make their own. The truck is being upgraded to a 400 SB, we eventually will install a 9 inch but just wanted an idea how strong the stock rear end is.
    Bob

Attached Files:

2. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

They made their own. Its a tall gear in there too!

3. The plan is for a 700R4, so it won't matter as long as they aren't taller than 4.11. Any idea how strong the rear end is?

4. lowmater_tn

lowmater_tn

axle ratios ranging from a tall 3.72:1 to more appropriate 4.88:1 and 5.11:1 gearing.
    and this too
    Power for the 1947-1949 International KB series pickups was provided by the "Green Diamond" six, a 214-cid flathead producing 82 bhp at 3400 rpm and 160 lbs/ft of torque at 1200 rpm. While the peak-torque rpm seems low, consider that the KB idled at only 350 rpm.
    With typical undersquare bore/stroke dimensions and 6.3:1 compression, this was no high-performance engine. But it was durable and easy to work on, and that's what counted

after reading all that i would say get a 9 inch other than using the stock one just in case i would go bigger and better for safety and performance

5. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Ranger/Exploder 8.8 rear ends are just about the right width, much easier to find than a 9 inch and quite often have some sort of limited slip. I am picking one up today from a junk yard for $100. Comes with the drive shaft, all the U bolts and parking brake cables intact. 3.55 Posi.

6. lowmater_tn

lowmater_tn

yea i got a f150 posi with 355 gears for 100 bucks off craigslist

7. The plan is to eventually put a 9 inch in, but modifying one of the two 9 inch rear ends that I have will take some time ( planned for next winter), and I wanted to feel reasonably comfortable about running the existing rear end for a year.
    Willowbilly3's suggestion: sounds like an alternative that is worth looking at, so I will look at the local wreckers and see what they have.

Ranger/Exploder 8.8 rear ends are just about the right width, much easier to find than a 9 inch and quite often have some sort of limited slip. I am picking one up today from a junk yard for $100. Comes with the drive shaft, all the U bolts and parking brake cables intact. 3.55 Posi.

8. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I have a 57ish 9 inch smoothie in my rpu, nice narrow one. But just to get a posi drop in will cost me 2-3 times what the 8.8 costs. I kinda want to keep it more old school but it's tempting to take the cheaper easy way out. The 8.8 I just scored may end up in a binder project tho.

9. jazz1

jazz1

I used rear end out of blazer s10 4x4 and the engine which had recently been rebuilt, got the whole truck for $150.00,,the 4x4 rear end is a little wider than the 2wd. 700r4 trans out of unknown lineage

10. silversink

silversink

Copy of mixed 445.jpg
    Mine is running a 71 must. 9" which is 59" wide ,exactly the same width as the stock reaend. The stock one was 513 gears and would onle get 45 mph. The Must. bolt pattern is the same as the International so I use the stock rims with 650/16 " rims. any questions PM me as I've parted out 5 and put mine and another one together from the parts, also if you need anything in the way of parts let me know.
    Ford and Int. use the same size U joints so they almost bolt right in . All I had to do was change the spring perches to 1 3/4 " and get a longe flex hose for the brake hookup, used the stock driveline with Ford u joints. The change over to one day by myself, not too hard at all.
    l

Last edited: May 6, 2011