Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '47 Ford Stock Shocks Are Collapsed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dwick01, Apr 23, 2018.

1. dwick01

dwick01

I lowered the front end on my '47 ford fordor V8 by having the spring eyes reversed and a couple of leaves removed by a spring shop. Also, added longer shackles. The car looks cool but when I looked underneath it looks like the stock shocks (not tube shocks) are collapsed and the bump stops are just barely against the frame. The car is pretty bouncy when going down the road. Not sure how to proceed. The top of the tires are just inside the wheel wells which is what I was looking for. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Time for a dropped axle & tube shocks.

3. dwick01

dwick01

I put the stock shackles back on and that didn't change the height at all. Wondering if the spring shop took too many leaves out. The original had 13 leaves, and as far as I can see, it looks like it now has 8 leaves.

4. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Have a similar set up as you so I removed the bump stops and lever shocks and put tube shocks on the front.

There is another hamb thread dealing with the same subject. Called 42-48 Ford Slammed with straight axle.

5. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Your car must be an early 47 if it has lever shocks. On my old 47 I ran a posies spring and tube shocks. Rode a bit ruff but thats an I beam axle for ya.

6. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

When I built my '46 I used a Chassis Engineering kit. Dropped axle, tube shocks, plenty of clearance to the bump stops. etc. Rides great. I agree with 302, get rid of that "cobbled up" front end. Look at the picture of my front end and see if thats the look you want.