Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 47 Ford Pickup Suicide doors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChefMike, Dec 17, 2011.

1. ChefMike

ChefMike

Hi I need some info on the best way to reinforce the door jambs in order to install suicide hinges. I realize I also have to reinforce the doors > stretch the cab eight inches over the summer so the doors have expanded! Any help with this would be greatly appreciated THANKS

2. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

If you are going to stretch the cab then chances are you will be cutting the cab behind the door jamb. At that time you can get access to and reinforce the backside of the B-pillar (door jamb) and add hinges. Make a mock-up hinge assembly to be sure the door skin is going to clear the body as it rotates open.

Use bear claw latches on the A-pillar. Good luck.

3. ChefMike

ChefMike

Thanks for your respones

4. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Making doors hinge on the back was a fad that streetrodders went thru many years ago. Its kinda like hanging a sign on your car that it was built in the 1990s and is not a traditional hotrodding procedure

5. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

You forgot the 40's thru the 80's, it's been around a long time. At least they are not Lambo or Gull wing........

6. Maybe so,,but why would you want to,,these old trucks just don't lend themselves to the custom look. IMHO!

Case in point,,check out the truck Chris built,,simple but has the unmistakable look of a truck built to look traditional. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  7. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Didn't say I was in favor of it HRP:)but to say it is a 90's thing is a little misleading to say the least.....for me suicide doors belong on cars that came with them, very little gain for a lot of hidden work...plus it's harder for my fat ass to get in and out of the rascal:eek:
    And yes I agree that Chris's truck is spot on.

8. ChefMike

ChefMike

I can&#8217;t argue your point for most! Except that I have taken my truck and stretched it 8" took a couple off the top and well you will have to wait till I post more photos before you decide if its going to have the look of custom! <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Have a Great Ride!<o:p></o:p>

9. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ChefMike, you might be able to gain some insight from this thread.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451530

If you have not already started the change, I would suggest that you simply let it be. we spent a shitload of time doing our 2 doors and jams. It's nice but the time and effort vs wow-factor simply is not worth it.
    If I can be of any help with more pics, drop me a PM........I have a bunch

10. did one door on my 53 dodge truck and hated it so much I put it back stock. Not worth the effort in my (humble) opinion......

11. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Mike,

Any chance you can swap the possition of the A Post to where it becomes the B Post ,just @ the hinge areas, leaving the above & below areas of the posts intact? This method would help keep the hinge alignment & latch location from becomming an issue.

The above method works best when the A & B posts are almost vertical from the cowl & floor.

" Humpty Dumpty was pushed "

12. ChefMike

ChefMike

Thanks for all the impute&#8230; however I'm knee deep into it! I took a look at the photos and there a great help thank you will post some photos as I progress<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Thanks <o:p></o:p>

13. ChefMike

ChefMike

I would like to see some more phots when you have a chance
    Thank you

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine was done in 1981 before it became a fad. And it will be done on the next build street roddy or not. It's been part of the truck's character for 30 years.

My usual response is that "Well, It's a three window". Although there are some people in the world who think that they saw a special edition Australian truck that was designed so that a farmer or sheepman could get out and open gates into the paddocks easier.

Chiefmike I'd be thinking about putting in some extra bracing for the door jamb so that it didn't move around. The jamb it's self is probably strong enough but you don't want the cab flexing with the extra weight hanging on the jamb.

15. ChefMike

ChefMike

Thanks for the reply ! I love the Law of Mechanical Repair
    I think that the extra bracing is a smart move and for all the work it is worth it !

16. hershambob

hershambob

i love that truck!