Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 47 Ford cab swap on my Ramp Truck/Dragster Hauler

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dragsled, Jun 28, 2013.

1. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Here's what I've been doing lately, Extended the upper and lower radiator hose's ,reattached the tire rack and used it to extend the ramps to center the cars weight better, started building the sleeper/storage box to go behind the cab and moved the winch ..slowed myself down alittle by smacking my wrist with a hammer at work driveing wheel studs into a hub, No broken bones just swollen and sore, A smarter man would have used a press:rolleyes:, more later tonite,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  2. dragsled, no sheetmetal for your "sleeper"?
    you lost a lot of interior space using 2x4's.
    Or frame it with 3/4x 3/4 tubing and attach the wood,
    but it is still good for the dogs!

3. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Still not finished I'm going to cover with some alum paneling a buddy has left over from a camper he buildt, going to insulate it being it will be open to the cab, Not to worried about the lost space don't plan on bringing the shop with me:D although ripping the 2x4's down would have made more sense now that you mention it, :) Too small for my hounds:eek:,, Tim Jones

4. olcarguy

olcarguy

You where using the multi-angle swing press, you just used the wrong angle...

5. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Very True, I'll hold the drift pin at a better angle next time:eek:

6. T27owner

T27owner
    from Nebraska

hey Jones here is a picture of my camper construction, it is all 1x2 framed sides with 1x1 aluminum tube for top(to avoid rot). it's screwed and glued and very light with 1 inch foam insulation.1/4 inch plywood on both sides.

Attached Files:

7. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks Bob , I found that panel you were talking about to use for the back, Plenty there to work with, Here's a few more pics ,got the entry hole between the cab and the box cut out, Glad the cab I'm useing isn't perfect , would have hated to cut a nice cab like that:eek:,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

8. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Got the roof and sides put on tonight, at my work you never know what you will find in the dumpsters and scrap iron piles,, two sections of stainless skin for the roof and some of the old signs for the sides , my buddy 27Towner pulled a large sign out of the dumpter last year, it's a plastic with Alum skin on both sides, was able to do the entire back with it, cut a sight window in it ,so I can see right between the ramps behind me also,,, A pic of my poor mans Bending tools:D , works great in UN skilled hands like mine:eek:,,,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

9. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Another heat wave came through so I'm back to working on the truck when the sun goes down:(, Got the opening on the cab trimed and slid the box in place, found out that who ever put the flatbed on the truck has it about an inch out of square the the front all welded soild so not much I can do to change it:mad:, First thought the cab had shifted at the back, Checked out OK tho, If I only look at one side at a time it's not so bad:D, I'll finsh the doors tomorrow,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  10. 4444Design

4444Design

would also do the sleeper in sheet-metal rather than in wood

love the old cab with more modern technic anyway

11. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks,, Right now the storage box will be built as is , being I'm doing it out of what I have on hand and can scrouge up, Might do a lighter framed one after the race car is done,, BTW Pretty cool bikes you restore,, Tim Jones

12. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Got the doors finished and hung this AM , just need to figure out a latch , add a drip rail , a little weather stripping to seal the door, and a strip of rubber to seal the hinge edge on the box to keep the water out going down the road, Maybe tonight when it cools off,,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

13. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Attached Files:

14. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Not to much to update , got the latchs on the box used some old slide bolt type, made the pin reciver with a setion of plate bent like an L ,slid through a slot cut in the frame and door, Pretty simple deal, put the drip rail above the door, also test fit a couple bucket seats a buddy gave me, just have to figure out the comfortable seat height,, I'll get more done when it cools off:D Tim Jones

Attached Files:

15. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Shot a couple pics in the daylight today

Attached Files:

16. 4444Design

4444Design

love it!

btw: thx for the positive comment concerning my bikes ...

17. Very nice ,will keep up with it .

18. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks , Well today I thought Id beable to do a video of the truck driving, being I had the seats in,, No such luck:mad: Clutch wouldn't depress enough to put the trans in gear while it was running,I soon found out my bracket for the brake and clutch pedals wasn't fixed like I hoped and one of the holes for the shaft to run through was egg shaped, Most in the junk yards are in the same shape as mine so I'll see if we can come up with something at work, not sure if this metal can be welded to fix the hole at least or fab up a steel one:eek: lots of angles and holes to get lined up,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

19. junk

junk

Cool Build. I like IDI ford diesels and old trucks and it's a hauler on top of that.

I have one of those brackets that's not cracked, but egg shaped. If your interested PM me. Basically shipping and it's yours. I'm in paullina ia 51046.

20. olcarguy

olcarguy

What material is the bracket made from? can you weld a brace around it and put in a bushing of the correct id and larger od?

roy

21. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

It looks to be Alum but might be potmetal, if it's Alum we can work with it, I'm also going to take up Junk on his offer, his we can make a bushing for it at work, Still I think I'll fab up a steel one the stock design is pretty weak for what it does,, Tim Jones

22. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

While wait for the bracket from Junk to get here, We decided to fix the one I have , it turned out to be alum but a very porous type so welding it won't work, so we pulled the pieces together with some wire an made up some braces to hold it together and beef up the other side, also drilled out the egged out side and made an inset to epoxy in, it's all back together now just to see if it will work ,, I'll put it back on the truck tomorrow, We made a bronze insert for the other one that's on the way,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

23. olcarguy

olcarguy

injection cast shite that is almost imposable to fix.

24. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Well I got the clutch working with the patched up bracket, still needs alittle work, but at least the clutch worked and I was able to drive it:), just went around by the barn and back, tried to splice two vids of it together but only the sound came through on the second,, not real exciteing but it moved so I'm happy:D, Now I can start figureing out mounting the front end,, here's a link to the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYr39eyXLD0&feature=youtu.be,,,,,, Tim Jones

25. olcarguy

olcarguy

You can tell it;s a Diesel....lol

26. T27owner

T27owner
    from Nebraska

Good Job! the cab even stayed on:D Now you need dual stacks

27. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

As Paul Harvey says now the rest of the story,, Yesterday after running the truck,, I decided to back the truck up a foot or so:rolleyes: Well I soon found out I need to adjust the brake pedal linkage:(,, Before rolling into the dog yard and taking out a section of fence and releaseing a bunch of huskies on the on the locals, I turned it up hill and got it stopped, Didn't have the camara rolling for the fun :eek: but took a shot of driveing it back up the hill just incase:D BTW got the other bracket from junk today much better shape than mine , THANKS!! Here's the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewE6vg-U53w&feature=youtu.be

28. T27owner

T27owner
    from Nebraska

Thought you looked famous walking toward camera found this pic of you on line.:D why am I such a smart ass:)

Attached Files:

29. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

You got way to much time on your hands:) Don't you have a model T to build? :D See you at work tomorrow

30. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

holy conbobulation