Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 47 Chevy Custom build thread?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopolds, Jul 13, 2014.

1. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Next was doing the actual surgery on the hood. The new peaked piece was exactly 2 inches wide, so I started in the front, and cut out a 2 in. wide piece out of the center, about 8-9 inches long. To be even more safe in the cutting and welding, I worked with only this much of the hood cut out, before welding in the new section. Slow going, but keeps things from getting out of hand. I used my TIG to do the welding, and hammer and dollied the welds as good as I could. But welding on an area this flat and this big definitely had me cussing like a sailor! The front emblem holes were also welded up, and I added a piece of 3/16 solid rod to the back edge of the hood. The hood had a lot of damage, and the rear edge was pretty beat up. This I MIGed, so there was less heat to warp it, and you can't correct it with the rod in place. 100_0854_w.jpg 100_0855_w.jpg 100_0959_w.jpg 100_0960_w.jpg 100_0961_w.jpg 100_0969_w.jpg 100_0983_w.jpg 0902141223.jpg Adding the rod makes it hold it's shape better, so when I straighten it, it will stay, and not flop around like the stock one does. Later I'll continue the peak into the cowl vent patch panel.

2. dmac620

dmac620

Nice touch on that hood!

3. Nice work Mark! I am really looking forward to seeing this finished as it has some very cool modifications.

4. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Had a few free hours today to do some more on the Chevy, so I decided to eliminate the cowl vent. First, I added a piece of the peak that Jersey Mike made me for the hood, so it extended onto the cowl, and up into the angle of the windshield frame. I tapped the peak up just a bit, so it blended in nicely into the windshield. Just a little thing, but it's minor details that bring together the look of the project. 0914141057.jpg 0914141114.jpg 0914141410.jpg 0914141432.jpg

5. dmac620

dmac620

That ties well in with the hood peak. Awesome detail.

6. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Wow! Great work! Love what you're doing!

7. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Very cool build. You have some real talent

8. koolkemp

koolkemp

What a great build! I haven't seen a custom project this involved in awhile! Really looking forward to following your progress now that I found your thread,keep up the great work!!

9. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Teaser!

Attached Files:

10. Come on Mark that is just not right.:(

11. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Sorry, but the plan was to get it running, and drive it outside to wash it and pose it for better pics. Just barely got it put together, no time to try to get it running (hasn't run in about a year, though everything is new/rebuilt). Gotta wait a few more days!

12. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Got it where I want it, for now. I've got some correcting, gapping, etc. to do, but that can wait now. 100_1013_w.jpg

rytang likes this.
  13. 'Mo

'Mo

Bailon's "Miss Elegance" '41, perhaps the only other early Chevy I have seen with rearward extended front fenders (that were not full fade-aways). Massive!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  14. Looks great Mark!

15. thecrazed(k)666

thecrazed(k)666

looking dam nice...great thread...keep the work and updates coming, cant wait to see her done !!!!

16. CGkidd

CGkidd

Awesome work. I remember stopping by and seeing it in person. Definately has come a long way.

17. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Thanks all!
    CG, good to see you're still here! How's the Olds motor?

18. CGkidd

CGkidd

In the frame on my 50 Stude gasser. When I get back home I hope to drop the body back on the frame. Fired it for the first time on the 4th of July.

19. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Don't forget to visit if you're in the area again!

20. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Where the hell have I been...? WOW ! this is amazing work- and lots of it! Its cool to see someone who actually knows what he's doing... I'm hooked!
    You've got a great eye for proportion and flow. This car is amazing!

21. fleet-master

fleet-master

great thread Chopolds !! ^^^ that shot of the rearend is VERY cool !!

22. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Great thread Mark! Thanks for posting your link on my need to see custom body work thread. I haven't been on here in a while and didn't realize customs have become unwanted on the hamb. I have started two different threads in the last week. One about chopping 41 to 46 Ford sedans and the custom body work and got to or three response . I guess I need to put a straight axle under my merc an spray bomb it flat black and put red wheels on it. Oh well life goes on. I will put this thread in my favorites file and hope you continue posting! But I know what it is like triing to find time for personal projects when the shop is full of customer cars. Great work keep it up!!!!! Larry

23. No, Larry, don't do that. There are still some kustom/custom lovers out here, and we dig what you are doing and are watching with interest. Those who get it will chime in, those that don't..........well, there's plenty of hot rod stuff going on here at the HAMB to keep 'em busy. KUSTOMS RULE! E

24. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

OG lil E Don't worry I am 59 and the love of everything customs has been flowing in my blood since I saw my first chopped merc when I was 7! I am not giving up now!! Larry

25. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

Great build and thanks for the idea of using the plywood forms to reshape the front fenders. I need to do that on my 47 Olds Aero-coupe and was wondering how to go about it. I don't like the shape in the front and it got too close when the car was dropped to the level I wanted.

[​IMG]

26. mack57

mack57

Awesome! Thank you for posting all of your work for us rookies to see!! Inspiration!!

27. Watching with interest.