Register now to get rid of these ads!

47-54 Chevy trucks removing cozy for 1 piece door glass ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rebstew187, Feb 14, 2012.

1. rebstew187

rebstew187

I was hoping someone may have a little info on removing the cozy wings and running full glass in the doors.

I bought a 54 Chevy the other day and will be starting on it when I get my current project done. I have the truck stashed away at a friends house and haven't been able to take a look at everything on the truck so I don't know how the inner door is made. The cozy wingframes are bent, busted and the glass is broke. I could replace both of them but really like the clean look of the full glass in the doors. If anyone has done this is there any tips you could shoot me. Straight forward? Like I said I don't have it in front of me to look at it and this is the first 47 to 54 truck I have owned so any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Save headache, time, and doors so some restorer guy may pay you big bucks someday and get a head start with doors from a '47-'50 that came from the factory with one piece windows.

3. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

4. Cutting up the door is easy but the later model regulators won't center on the glass.

5. It is easier to just switch out the complete doors but.... I have cut out all the window tracks & from an eariler door & installed them along with the regulator & 1 piece glass in the later doors... a PITA but it can {& has been} done many times.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Later 2 piece glass door guts 1951-1955.1

[​IMG]

Early 1 piece glass door guts 1947-1950

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  6. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

A friend of mine wants to do the oppisete. He prefers the vent window
    over the one piece design.

Jeff

7. rebstew187

rebstew187

Thanks for the pics and the links guys. It helps alot. Not having the truck in front of me stinks. I want to get started on it but have to clear the bay of a project that is almost done. I may look around to see if i can find some early junk doors to get the guts out of them. I'd switch the doors but I don't think I could find a nice set around here without going broke. The doors I have now have very nice shells. No rot in the bottoms. That's a big deal for northern Ky iron. Most everything we can get is rusty.
    Thanks again!

8. rebstew187

rebstew187

If I had some good cozies we do some trading around but mines junk.

9. Blown543100

Blown543100

I know this is an old thread but I'm new to the site and I have a question. I have been reading info on various vintage truck sites and decided to take the advice of many posters and change the doors on my 54 to the 47-50 vintage in favor of the 1 piece window. My issue is, I can not locate the regulator to window attaching track...that is, the track that attaches to the bottom of the window frame and the regulator rides in. Anyone know if these are available in reproduction form or do I need to hit the salvage yards?

10. c6_rob

c6_rob

I dont know of anyone who makes them. Id hit the salvage yards.

I was thinking you could crush some round tubing and kind of square it up and cut a section out on one side to kind of make that part.

Im attempting this real soon with parts I got from old doors. Make sure you take some good measurements for the placement as youll have to drill holes for em.

11. cotsi95

cotsi95

They are both made. LMC truck sells both along with classic parts. For the 1 piece windows they come attached to the glass and for the 2 piece you can get them separately.

Heres the LMC truck page that shows them. The 1 piece windows are 1 and the glass channel for the 2 piece windows are number 11.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/ca/full.aspx?Page=15

12. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Keep in mind the early doors and the later doors use different door handles.

13. ...and door latches and strikers....47-50's anyway

14. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

51 has the pulldown handles like the 47-50s and 52 and up have the push button handle so 51 is the only year with vent windows and the pull down handles

15. CIMpleBS

CIMpleBS

The cut-away pictures are awesome! Spent hours looking for this, and my brother is out looking for a cheap 48 door I can cut up to see this. My Nu-relic windows installed in 05 or so, but not by me. Passenger side stopped 3 or 4 times in last year. A shake of the connector at the motor seemed to solve the problem. Not this time. I finally figured out how to disconnect the motor wire connector, but can't get to the plug side on the motor to clean, and couldn't fathom how it worked. I can barely touch the motor through the lower display panel. Nu Relics was no help with instructions. Switch controls the juice to the wire, so it's contacts or motor. Now I can see how to take it out. Thanks a million!

16. DavidnTami

DavidnTami

I have some specific questions for those who have done this conversion. (Our truck is a '53) I have removed the vents and fabricated/installed hinge side glass tracks. The one piece door glass I received with the truck is 1/4" thick but does not have a metal frame around it (as the 47-50 would). I do not have regulators. Questions... 1. Which regulator do you all recommend- early or late style? 2. Do I need to use the metal frame around the glass? 3. If you've converted to power windows, what is an inexpensive way to do so?

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you planning on air conditioning?

18. DavidnTami

DavidnTami

Yes. A/C is installed.

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good, because without the wing windows, venting is very poor in these.

Hnstray likes this.